Sports In Brief

Women’s Basketball Drops Two

The season did not start as happily as planned for UC Irvine (0-2). The Anteaters dropped their season opener on Nov. 11 against Portland State 80-76 followed by a 64-56 loss to University of Portland on Nov. 13.

The Anteaters looked determined to win their first game of the season as they held onto a 63-53 lead, but Portland State out-scored UCI 19-3 to lead 72-66. UCI would come back and tie the game at 76 apiece after junior Pernilla Hanson made a pair of free throws followed by Onogomuho’s basket. However, Portland State edged their way to victory thanks to a pair of free throws made with 11 seconds remaining in the game.

UCI struggled in the first half against Portland, falling behind 20-10 six minutes into the game. The Anteaters regained their focus and went on a 12-1 run and held Portland to zero field goals for over 10 minutes, leading 22-21 with 3:59 left in the half.

The two teams would go back and forth until Portland’s Cassandra Brown made a 3-pointer with 1:06 on the clock. Klintsone responded with a 3-pointer of her own to send the teams tied 30-30.

The two teams remained tied in the second half until Portland went on a 7-0 scoring spree to lead 47-40 with 10 minutes left in the game. The Anteaters came back with seven points through a 3-pointer by Marshall, a pair of free throws by White and a basket by Onogomohu.

Portland broke through again by scoring eight points and allowing only two. UCI never came close to regaining the lead as Portland came away with the victory.

UCI Cross Country Competes in NCAA West Regionals

The UC Irvine men’s cross-country team finished 19th out of 25 teams in the NCAA West Regional. Freshman Matt Neev was the leading runner for UCI, finishing 74th with a time of 30:55. Senior Brett Matejka placed 95th with a time of 31:24 and sophomore Steven Melena was 101st, finishing in 31:32.

Junior Chloe Fata was the lead runner for the UCI women’s cross-country team at the NCAA West Regional, placing 85th with a time of 22:02. UCI finished 23rd out of 31 teams.