Learning to Love What You’re Learning

By Megan Luu

I am in a romantic relationship with my major.

My aunt used to babysit me after elementary school and my mom always had this rule that if I didn’t have a page written to give to her, she wouldn’t pick me up or take me home. Those pages began as wide-ruled paper covered in six to seven oversized, disconnected words written in agonizing torture (“BIG CORN JUMBO COB YUMMIE GOOD”). But by high school, I was writing for my own pleasure, making me realize that somehow, whether it was due to my mother’s unusual mandate or my own manifestation, I loved to write — and that I loved corn too.

Like many other Humanities students, I encounter numerous people who suffer from the chronic problem of hearing this question: “What are you going to do with that major?” My answer is usually: “I don’t know.”  With the struggling economy, people need to compete for future jobs, so their studies reflect the kind of job they want: an engineering major wants to be an engineer.

I’m soon to be married to English at the end of this quarter, and almost everyone thinks I want to be a teacher.  That’s not exactly what I’m looking to get out of this relationship. I am hoping to write, but as for a solid career, I’m in a gray, hazy area. I am going through college with the belief that things are going to work out as long as I keep up decent grades and pure interest in what I’m learning. English and I, we fight sometimes, because my primary interest is in creative writing and English just wants me to read and write literary analyses. I love both sides of the coin, but I’m always going to have a preference. I’m not sure where all of this is going, whether I will end up as a university professor or an editor somewhere. All I know is that I love what I’m studying.

I decided to go for English after the discovery that UC Irvine didn’t have a writing major. English is not a rebound, I assure you. Oftentimes, people want to skip the books and get right on into it.   The same goes for English; yes, I want to be a writer, but there is so much to learn first, and that is what I appreciate about it all. I cannot write without a good understanding and mastery of language.

I love reading other writer’s work — and though I don’t necessarily always enjoy their styles, I feel as if I’m learning about how to improve upon myself. There is so much that I don’t know and studying literature is helping me fill my brain with novel deliciousness.

Aside from the literature aspect, I’m in love with the creative-writing classes and workshops. It excites me. It does. I love the freedom of expression, the “spontaneous overflow of powerful feeling” (thank you, Wordsworth) and the blossoming thrills I get in my chest when I know I’m about to sit down and write a story. I love discussing ideas in class and exchanging opinions — it’s a great way to learn. Oh, English and I are in deep, passionate love with one another.

We’re also in a monogamous relationship, where I do not see any other major. However, I’m always interested in those who do,  Due to time constraints, I am unable to share in this opportunity. I do not know anyone personally with a strange double major; I’ve heard of some like Biology and Music. I hold a large amount of respect for those who are studying a science and an art. I am in complete support of studying what you want and love! After all, with tuition on the rise, it would be in any student’s best interest to get the best experiences out of their money. Besides, I like to believe that the more you care about your studies, the more you feel connected to it, the better your grades will be and the more effort you’ll put into what you do.

And maybe you might be making wedding plans, too.