Wellness 101: Seasonal Fruits and Vegatables That Will Keep Your Body its Best

by Annie Kim

Last week, I bought a box of blueberries because as I was walking down the stand of vibrant colored fruits, those dark blue, rather round and voluptuous blueberries seemed to call my name. I stared at the box for a while. It was $7.99, which is a pretty good deal for a box of blueberries (especially since berries in general run on the expensive side). I couldn’t stop my love for berries and bought them. I rushed home, grabbed a handful of blueberries, rinsed them in my sink, and stuffed my face with swee … sour and squishy blueberries! I was pretty furious and almost headed back to the grocery store for a refund. I paid $8 for a box of sour, soggy blueberries. As a broken wallet college student, you know what I could buy with $8? That could’ve been breakfast and lunch.
You see, I don’t want anyone to go through my disappointment and pain with my blueberry encounter. Turns out, blueberries are in season during the months of July and August. Therefore, I have compiled fresh fruits and vegetables that are in season, by the month. This list is definitely helpful because it will give you an idea on what fruit and vegetables are the sweetest, yummiest and cheapest. The produce in season is most likely to be on sale. By the way, here’s a little side note, bananas, potatoes, celery, and carrots seem to always be in season. Shop and eat up!

January

Vegetables: cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflower
Fruits: oranges, grapefruit. tangerines, lemons and papayas

February

Vegetables: broccoli and cauliflower

Fruits: oranges, grapefruits, lemons and papayas

March

Vegetables: broccoli and lettuce
Fruits: pineapples and mangoes

April

Vegetables: zucchini, artichokes, spring peas, asparagus, broccoli and lettuce
Fruits: pineapples and mangoes

May

Vegetables: zucchini, artichokes, asparagus, spring peas, broccoli and lettuce
Fruit: cherries, pineapples and apricots

June

Vegetables: corn and lettuce
Fruit: watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, cherries, blueberries, peaches, and apricots

July

Vegetables: cucumbers, tomatoes, summer squash, corn, green beans and lettuce
Fruits: watermelon, strawberries, cantaloupe, blueberries, peaches, apricots, kiwi, raspberries and plums

August

Vegetables: cucumbers. corn, eggplant, tomatoes, summer squash, green beans, and lettuce
September

Vegetables: eggplants, pumpkins, tomatoes, spinach and lettuce
Fruits: grapes, pomegranates

October

Vegetables: sweet potatoes, pumpkins, winter squash, broccoli, spinach and lettuce
Fruits: cranberries, apples, pomegranates, and grapes

November

Vegetables: pumpkins, winter squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, mushrooms and spinach
Fruit: cranberries, oranges, tangerines, pears and pomegranates

December

Vegetables: sweet potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and cauliflower
Fruit: pears, oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, papayas and pomegranates