Edged: Anteaters Remain Winless

Peter Huynh/New University

USU 69, UCI 64

With a close and competitive game against Utah State University, UC Irvine’s women’s basketball team failed to close out the game on Nov. 19th at the Bren Events Center, dropping their record to 0-4.

Although there were several missed shots during the first half, the Anteaters played aggressive defense and kept Utah State trailing behind by five points at most. With their strong team effort, the Anteaters shot 40.7 percent from the floor and put pressure on the Aggies as they missed several shots of their own throughout the half, only shooting 12-31 at 38.7 percent in field goals.

With 5:14 left in the first half, Utah’s offense picked up their speed and took the lead for the first time in the game with 19-18 on the board. The game became close as Utah State capitalized on a steal with 25 seconds left and closed out the half to tie it at 28-28.

Utah routed the ’Eaters in the second half as they managed to build a 10-point lead (52-42) with 11:12 left in the game. Later, as the Anteaters trailed 61-53, Jazmyne White led the team to a 7-2 run by scoring four points while sophomore Jasmine Bernard contributed a three-pointer to keep the game within 63-60 with 1:49 left in the game.

The two teams kept trading baskets within the short time, but Utah closed out the game with a pair of free-throws after UCI committed a quick foul.

CSUB 104, UCI 92

Irvine struggled on the road with their third consecutive loss of the season on Wednesday, Nov. 16 to the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners at the Icardo Center.

Junior Jazmyne White played well in a losing effort with 23 points and 10 rebounds while freshman forward Methlyn Onogomuho got 10 rebounds as well. Sophomore Jacquelyn Marshall went 12-19 from the field to score 29 points.

The Anteaters started off strong during the first half, shooting 22-37 for a 59.5 field goal percentage.

The Roadrunners were just as efficient in the first half, shooting 21-36 for a 58.3 field goal percentage.

UC Irvine seemed on course of a rout in the first when they had a 40-29 lead after going on a 15-6 run with 7:44 left on the clock. However, the Roadrunners controlled the tempo of the game and came back with a 23-6 run to lead 52-46 lead. With 1:40 left in the half, the Anteaters rallied to close the deficit. Bakersfield had a one point lead over the Anteaters at 52-51 halftime.

UCI came out of the locker room determined to retake the lead as they scored nine points, taking the lead at 60-52 at the start of the second half. Yet CSUB regained the lead with less than 13 minutes on the clock when they outscored UCI 16-7 to take a 68-67 lead.

After trading a series of baskets, the Anteaters eventually slowed down, shooting 43.9 percent in field goals. The Anteaters were outscored and played catch up when the Roadrunners were ahead with a 12-point lead with just a minute left in the game at 100-88, as they went on to lose the game.