Sports in Brief

Women’s Volleyball in four-game losing streak

The season does not seem to be ending well for the UC Irvine women’s volleyball team (10-18) after dropping two games on the road, extending their losing streak to four games. On Nov. 18, the Anteaters went to Cal State Fullerton to take on the Titans, losing 3-1.

The Titans took control of the first two sets as they won 25-21 and 25-18, but Irvine showed some fight in the third set. Both teams kept trading points until the score reached 27-27. Junior Taylor Smith landed a kill and senior Alexandra Hauser took the set with an ace. The Titans took control of the fourth set, jumping to a 18-9 lead. The Titans went on to win 25-19.

The Anteaters then played against their conference rival, Cal State Long Beach, in their traditional Black and Blue rivalry on Nov. 19. UCI dominated the first set 25-19, but they faltered in the last three sets as they lost by lopsided scores of 25-16, 25-15, and 25-17. UCI is now 4-12 in the Big West Conference.

Five pitchers and three position players are recruited by UCI

UC Irvine’s 2012 recruitment class features five pitchers, three of whom are right-handers, who will bolster their staff and bullpen. The five are Josh Bornstein of El Segundo High School, Tyler Brashears of El Toro High School, Kevin Grendell of San Pasqual High School, Andrew Potter of Eastside High School and Elliot Surrey of Crescenta Valley High School.

The Anteaters included three position players to join the team: middle infielder Tim Lopes from Edison High School in Huntington Beach, outfielder Jordan Morrison from Arroyo Grande High School and outfielder Taylor Dominique from Salt Lake Community College in Utah.