’Eater Opinions: What are your thoughts on the Occupy movement?

Never have I been so disgusted to be affiliated with the University of California.  Assistant Professor Nathan Brown, in his open letter to UCD Chancellor Katehi, wrote in the context of preserving the academic integrity of the institution that: “[Young faculty members like myself are] an asset to the University of California at Davis. You are not.”  I’d like to second Brown’s assertion, with one extended caveat: students are assets to the University.  Not chancellors, whose cowardice or indifference drip from every offensively avoidant edict from their hallowed administration offices.  The double negative may seem like a safe place for the likes of Birgeneau, but rhetorical yarn can only be spun so tightly before it becomes indistinguishable from a string of empty lies.  Certainly not UC police officers, who increasingly act without any apparent regard for the laws which they are constitutionally bound to uphold.  Students, staff and faculty willing to stand up to injustice are the core resources of the university in pursuit of its traditional mission of fostering critical thought.  The shameful events of the past two weeks don’t only ignore this foundation, but actively seek to undermine it.
– Earl Foust, fourth-year comparative literature major

What the Occupy movements seem to share is not so much an ideology as a methodology. I think that Occupy Wall Street has an entirely different motive than Occupy Cal, united only by the manner in which they accomplish their respective agendas. However, regardless of whether I believe the protesters to be right or not, it is truly appalling to witness the inhumane brutality directed at these peaceful demonstrators. I do not understand why nonviolent opinions must be met with such excessive and unprovoked force and cruelty.

– Benjamin Hong, second-year biological sciences major

The Occupy protestors? Yes, a few of them ought to work harder to keep the tent cities clean, and maybe what they’re chanting isn’t totally coherent at times. Some of them make ludicrous calls that can’t be taken seriously at all, i.e., the total disestablishment of corporate presences in all spheres of life. But the Occupy Movement, despite its flaws, remains the only non-bureaucratic voice of discontent with the current economic state of affairs that virtually anyone can have a stake in. I don’t see anyone getting so excited over fixing America but them.

– Daniel Redondo, second-year economics major

I’m having trouble supporting the Occupy movement. On the one hand, I totally get this dissatisfaction with the economic and political system. I get that. I’m lower class. I’m struggling to get through school and pay all my bills. On the other, I’m working my ass off to do it. I have more jobs than I can count, and I’m actively trying to make my life better. I don’t waste months at a time sleeping in parks. The Occupy movement has no real solutions to these problems, other than forming drum circles and getting maced in the face.

– Justin Huft, third-year psychology and social behavior major

What students are doing across the UC system isn’t as effective as it could be. Protesting is simply not accomplishing the change that we wish to see, but is gaining attention from the media and raising awareness among the masses. If we wish to change things, we should try doing it from within the system as well. Perhaps changing from banks to credit unions, or joining student government or clubs to take a more massive effect. Moreover, using our fields of study to work together to evolve the system to acquiring our needs, create new politicians, new leaders and new visionaries.

– Marko Ocampo, third-year nursing science major

The Occupy Wall Street movement was originally started by the anti-authoritarian hacker group known was “Anonymous” (who previously held an Occupy the Federal Reserve event). The original intent was to target those in the .01 percent that have profited from our central bank and crony capitalism, which I think is great. However, the movement has grown to include many different kinds of people — many of which either pose no solution, or suggest that the root cause of the problem is the solution (our corporate-owned government should further “regulate” corporations). I think that it is great that the masses are starting to realize that our current system is unjust, but the majority of current protesters need to be educated on the cause of this mess: fiat money, central banking, and crony capitalism.

– Matt Eggleton, second-year business information management major

The Occupy movement began as something I could really stand behind: An attack not on capitalism, but on the corporatocracy. Then, slowly, it grew in popularity and shrank in structure and purity of values. By the middle of October, what had started as a coherent movement against malicious business tactics had turned into a clusterfuck supporting Socialism, Anarchy and everything in between with no convergent goals. Then, Reclaim UC was formed. Reclaim UC embodies everything that I had hoped for the Occupy Movement. Now let’s just hope the Regents take notice.

– Ryan Cady, second-year psychology and social behavior major

I think it’s great that people are voicing their opinions especially regarding all the tuition increases and such. But I think the Occupy movement has come to a point where it’s no longer serving a purpose. I don’t think that it’s the most productive thing to do when you’re out of work. They’ve said their piece, now maybe they should be out looking for a job because at this point not much is going to change.

– Carrie Dilluvio, third-year literary journalism major