Wellness 101 with Annie Kim: Foods and Tips that will Keep the Colds and Sniffles Away

by Annie Kim

Staff Writer

Consume healthy protein.
Besides building strong and good- looking muscles, another one of proteins’ functions is to increase your ability to make disease- slaughtering antibodies. Stay clear of the fatty red meats, such as the flavorful, cholesterol-wrapped Korean barbeque that we all love to  eat and other full-fat dairy foods. Eat skinless white-meat chicken, nonfat dairy such as milk and yogurt, ground turkey, tofu, salmon, nuts and beans.
The way I look at it, eating good proteins is a win-win situation. They keep us looking good by sculpting our muscles and keeping our noses dry.
Eat sweet potatoes.
One medium-sized sweet potato contains 103 great-for-you calories, 4 grams of fiber, and a whopping 438 percent of vitamin A. They are one of the best sources of vitamin A, also known as beta-carotene, which your body needs to continue producing white blood cells to fight off un-wanted infections.
Be an artist with an eye for colors during mealtimes.
Fill your plate with colorful vegetables and fruits. Apples, kiwis, blueberries, broccoli, tomatoes, grapes, bell peppers … I can go on forever. Be creative. Do something out of the norm; throw in a random vegetable or fruit into your dish. You could be surprised on how well the flavors of sweet, salty or spicy can complement each other. i.e. make a tuna salad mixed with spinach, colorful bell peppers, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs and sweet ripe peaches.
Be in the company of garlic and onions.
Cook your meal with plenty of them. They contain allicin, which is an active component that can kill viruses by blocking the enzymes that lead to infection. Sautee your vegetables with garlic and onions, throw it in with your homemade dip or steam it with your omelet for breakfast. Garlic and onions are double the trouble for the bad guys trying to wreck our immune systems. So eat up! Just don’t forget to brush your teeth with some strong minty toothpaste!
Go get your cuties, Cuties as in Clementines!
These small bundles of round orange sweetness are a powerhouse antioxidant full of vitamin C. Vitamin C may not always prevent colds and sickness, but it can definitely help cut down the severity and duration of colds. Simply eating two cuties fulfill 100 percent of your vitamin C intake. They are easy to pack, peel and eat.
Settle down with a cup of tea.
There’s nothing more relaxing than to curl up on the corner of your couch with a cup of hot tea. Opt for green or black tea, and make sure to brew a decaffeinated tea bag after dusk because you don’t want to be up all night. Research has shown that people who regularly drink five cups of black tea produce 10 times more virus-fighting interferon than non-tea and coffee drinkers.
Stalk up on whole grains.
Two to three servings of oatmeal, wheat bread and other whole-grain cereals will provide you with your daily nutrition needs of whole grains. Whole grains have three nutrients that have been proved to enhance immunity: selenium, zinc and beta-glucan.