91

Former Anteaters Perform on Golden Stage, Bailey Shines

UC Irvine alumnus Ryan Bailey scored a goal for the USA Men’s National Water Polo Team that won the gold medal at the Pan Pacific Championships on Jan. 14 in an 11-10 victory over Australia.

Bailey scored 10 goals throughout the tournament, while fellow former Anteaters Jeff Powers and Tim Hutten scored five and four respectively for the American team.

Marshall Clutch, Women’s Basketball Wins Fourth Straight

Sophomore forward Jacquelyn Marshall scored six points and recorded a team-high eight rebounds for the Anteaters in Irvine’s 62-60 nail-biting victory at Cal Poly on Saturday. Marshall knocked down the eventual game-winning jumper from just inside the free-throw line with 19 seconds remaining.

Senior Kassandra McCalister led UCI with 16 points, after nailing two 3-pointers and hitting 7 of 17 shots from the field against the Mustangs. McCalister was a workhorse in the contest, playing 38 of 40 minutes, while dishing out four assists and two blocks.

The win puts UCI in a four-game win streak. The Anteaters are currently sitting third in the Big West Conference with a 4-2 record and are 8-10 overall. Their next game will be at home against Cal State Fullerton on Jan. 18 at 7 p.m.

Women’s Tennis Season Begins; Strikes Gong in 2013

The UC Irvine women’s tennis team landed a huge recruit over the winter break. Head coach Mike Edles announced on Dec. 16 that the team had signed Sarah Gong, a five-star recruit who will be eligible academically for the 2012-13 season. The Hermosa Beach resident is ranked eighth among juniors in the state of California and 50th in the country.

“[…] Even as a freshman, [Gong] will make an immediate impact in the program,” Edles said. “We are very excited Sarah is joining our team.”

The Anteaters will host Cal State Bakersfield, kicking off their 2012 campaign at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday.