Bittersweet Results to Start off Season

Marlin Agoub/New University

USC 7, UCI 0

Following an easy victory over CSUB, the UC Irvine women’s tennis team saw the other side of the sweep as the ranked-16 University of Southern California crushed UCI 7-0 on Jan. 20 at Marks Stadium. The Anteaters finish their first week of the season with a 1-1 record overall.

Freshman Kat Facey and sophomore Franziska Goettsching were the first doubles pair to lose their match as they fell 8-2. Juniors Stephanie Hammel and Kristina Smith failed to keep Irvine’s hopes of winning the doubles competition alive as they took a tough 8-3 loss.

Seniors Courtney Byron and Hannah Holladay gritted it out with the ranked no. 3 doubles pair in the nation, Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria, only to lose 8-5 in a seemingly close battle. USC entered the singles competition with a 1-0 lead.

Byron was the first to lose her match in the singles competition as she got swept by ranked no. 19 Zoe Scandalis with a pair of 6-0 sets.

Goettsching got dominated in her first set 6-0 against ranked no. 18 Santamaria, but made a late surge to stay in the game. Unfortunately her efforts weren’t enough as she fell 6-3 in the second set.

USC clinched the match with after sophomore Marivick Mamiit took a pair of 6-1 losses in her match. USC won the rest of the singles matchups to sweep the game.

UCI 7, CSUB 0

The UC Irvine Women’s tennis team pulled out the brooms as they swept past Cal State University Bakersfield in their season opener at home on Jan. 18. The veterans and the freshmen showed a lot of composure in controlling the game to come away with an easy victory.

Seniors Courtney Byron and Hannah Holladay made easy work of their opponents in the doubles match as they swept their opponents 8-0 to get UCI’s first point. Juniors Kristina Smith and Stephanie Hammel replicated the same results as their fellow senior teammates to lock the doubles point for UCI. Sophomore Brooke Schweyer teamed with freshman Ali Facey to help the Anteaters sweep the doubles competition with an 8-1 victory of their own.

The no. 1 and 2 singles competition was fairly lopsided as Byron and Smith had no problem dominating their opponents 6-0, 6-2 and 6-1, 6-0.

Sophomore Franziska Goettsching had no problem at the no. 3, taking away the victory with 6-1and 6-2 wins.

Despite already taking the victory, the other players kept up the good effort in their games. Facey faced some tough competition in her match, but gritted out to win her two sets 6-3 and 6-4. Her sister freshman Kat Facey won her debut at the no. 5 spot, winning both sets 6-0 and 6-2. Freshman Nakisa Vahdat closed the match with a 6-1 and 6-0 win to perfect the sweep.