Sweet and Sour Week for UCI

293
293
Marlin Agoub/New University

CSUN 80, UCI 59

Cal State Northridge crushed the UC Irvine women’s basketball team 80-59 at the Bren Events Center on Feb 4. The Anteaters now have a 10-13 overall record and are 6-4 in the Big West Conference.

UCI senior Kassandra McCalister had a team high 27 points with five 3-pointers, making that a new career-high from long distance. McCalister also tied with sophomore Jacquelyn Marshall with a team high seven rebounds.  The Anteaters were off, scoring 36 percent from the floor and turning over the ball 25 times.

CSUN had a hot offensive night, scoring 20 points in the paint and 28 points off of turnovers. They were 51.5 percent from field goal range and moved the ball around very well, having 23 assists. Their star player Jasmine Erving was unstoppable, recording a double-double with 36 points and 10 rebounds.

The Anteaters’ 20 points in the second half are the second fewest points scored in a half this year. They were completely shut down both on the offensive and defensive end by the Matadors.

“Northridge is a great team and we definitely had trouble dealing with their best player Erving,” McCalister said. “We need to take care of the ball. We had too many turnovers tonight.”

CSUN went on a 17-4 run at the start of the first half. However, Jacquelyn Marshall scored seven points in a row to narrow the score to 17-11. UCI went on a 16-4 run afterward to tie the game at 29 apiece. The first half grew close as both teams continued tying the score up to 36-36. CSUN then scored consistently to end the first half with a 45-39 lead. UCI showed weak chemistry, turning the ball over 13 times and having only eight assists. They did great scoring behind the 3-point arc, going five for six, but their defense appeared non-existent, giving CSUN 10 offensive rebounds and six second-chance points.

In the second half, Erving controlled most of the game. She was unstoppable, scoring 21 points in the second half. UCI kept having issues turning the ball over, having 12 turnovers in the second half. The ’Eaters took many difficult shots and could not find the open jumper. They also failed to pass the ball around, having only three assists while CSUN had 11. “We need to improve in both offense and defense,” Coach Goodenbour said. “Our spacing was bad, way too many turnovers, bad shot selection, and let their best player in the other team have 36 points. CSUN played great basketball. We are disappointed with our performance tonight.”

UCI 86, LBSU 61

The UC Irvine women’s basketball team dominated Long Beach State University 86-61 at the Bren Center on Feb. 2. The Anteaters are now tied for second place in the Big West Conference with a 6-3 record and a 10-12 record overall.

Five UCI players were on double figures for points. Sophomore Jacquelyn Marshall had a team high 18 points off of seven of 13 shooting, grabbed nine rebounds, one block and two steals. Senior Kassandra McCalister recorded her first double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. She also led in assists with a team high six assists. Freshman Methlyn Onogomuho had eight total points and 10 rebounds.

“We prepared and practiced all week for this game,” McCalister said. “We transitioned and rebound really well. We also shared the ball and didn’t rely on one person to play this game, but instead, played team basketball.”

LBSU started the game great going on an 8-2 run. The Anteaters were missing easy layups and could not find a shot. However, the Anteaters picked it up and hit three 3-pointers by Pernilla Hanson, Kelly Meggs and Marshall to tie the game at 13-13. LBSU was scoreless for the next six minutes and UCI scored 18 straight points, bringing the score 32-17. LBSU had a huge problem with traveling, giving up many turnovers, which gave the Anteaters more opportunities to stretch the lead. LBSU were struggling on the line, only making one out of five free throws. They also were not playing great defense and gave UCI easy buckets. UCI, on the other hand, played great defense, utilizing both full court press and zone defense to confuse LBSU. The Anteaters would lead 35-22 in the first half.

In the second half, LBSU had a hard time shooting the ball. Even with open shots, they did not make them; as a result, UCI took advantage and grabbed a huge lead. LBSU later picked it up and went on a 12-2 run, making the score 49-36. However, their terrible defense gave UCI easy points and the Anteaters went on a 16-4 run to score 77-53. From there, the Anteaters took the game.

The Anteaters did a great job attacking the basket and shooting consistently behind the 3-point line. They also did a fantastic job on defense pressuring their opponents and forcing them to take difficult shots.

“I was very pleased with their effort,” Coach Goodenbour said. “We were focused and did a good job sharing the ball and rebounding. We limited our turnovers and made great decisions. Usually we have things to work on but we played really good today.”