A Real Keeper, This One

Courtesy of Screen Gems

As an avid lover of romantic and heart-warming movies, I have anxiously been anticipating the premiere of “The Vow” for weeks now, and I am thrilled to say that I loved it. I was pleasantly surprised to see in the opening credits that it is based on a true story.

The movie begins with a snowy, romantic date night for Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo Collins (Channing Tatum), which quickly turns into a horrific disaster when a car accident causes Paige to fly through the windshield and awake with no memory of her relationship with Leo. Throughout the film, Leo does everything he can to help Paige regain her memory, making her fall in love with him all over again.

This movie is a cross between two of my favorite romantic films, “Dear John” and “The Notebook” in both plot and actors.

The casting of Channing Tatum and Rachael McAdams to play Paige and Leo is a perfect fit because they display a convincing romantic connection on camera. There are moments they share, such as tickling each other and Leo warming up Paige’s hands, that makes the audience feel their love through these simple, menial actions.

Many characters appear throughout the film to work against Leo, which causes a great amount of frustration and tension for me as a viewer. I was just so eager to know what the end result between Paige and Leo was going to be.

I would suggest that if you do not enjoy emotional films, then skip out on “The Vow.” I personally enjoy emotional romantic films, and I cried about three different times; and I’m not talking about tearing up — I was actually crying.

Yet, there were also several moments when I was moved to laughter. One particularly funny scene was one morning after the accident where Leo slept on the couch while Paige was in bed. He wakes up nude and goes to the bathroom, and Paige sees him and screams because he’s naked and she’s in her underwear. Leo says, “Sorry, habit,” resulting in a burst of laughter from them both.

Tatum and McAdams each did what they do best and once again told a beautiful, romantic love story. This film truly makes the moviegoer appreciate his or her significant other and reminds them to cherish every moment they have together, because you never know what will happen next.

I would suggest that if you are going out with someone for the first time this Valentine’s Day, you should probably skip “The Vow,” because it is pretty emotional and a tad heavy for a first date. But if you’re looking for something romantic to do this Valentine’s with someone you are committed to, then “The Vow” is the perfect choice!

Rating: 4 out of 5