84

Losing Streak Extended to Three

The men’s basketball team is now 9-16, 5-7 in the Big West, after falling 100-94 at Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 9 and 77-74 at Cal Poly on Feb. 11.

The Anteaters led 47-40 at half against the Titans, before being outscored 60-47 in the second half. Junior point guard Derick Flowers made all of his points from the free-throw line, going a perfect 10 for 10 while adding six assists. Leading Irvine in scoring was junior guard Daman Starring with 22. Starring also contributed five assists, three rebounds and two steals. Off the bench, freshman forward Will Davis II had 20 points, six rebounds and two blocks.

At Cal Poly, the Anteaters experienced a scoring drought in the first half, making a second-half comeback that was too little, too late. UCI trailed 45-32 at half and outscored the Mustangs 42-32 in the second half.  Junior center Adam Folker had 20 points and eight rebounds. A perfect 4 for 4 from the free-throw line, junior Mike Wilder scored 21 points.

UCI returns home to face UC Santa Barbara on Feb. 15 at 7 p.m. in the Bren Events Center. The Gauchos represented the Big West in the NCAA Tournament last season. The ’Eaters will then host Eastern Washington in a Sears BracketBusters  matchup on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Mixed Results at NorCal Road Trip

UC Irvine’s women’s basketball team picked up just their third away victory of the season, 68-59, against the UC Davis Aggies on Feb. 9, then fell 87-63 at the University of Pacific on Feb. 11. UCI is now 11-14, and 7-5 in the Big West. Senior Kassandra McCalister collected a double-double against Davis, scoring 29 points and 10 rebounds. Sophomore Jacquelyn Marshall also contributed 16 points and eight rebounds.

Irvine shot an anemic 2 for 14 from 3-point range against Pacific. The two teams entered half tied at 39, but UCI was outscored 53-29 in the final 20 minutes. McCalister was the leading scorer, once again, tallying 16 points in the losing effort.

Coach Molly Goodenbour’s team returns home to face Cal Poly on Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. They are then expected to host UC Santa Barbara on Feb. 18 at 4 p.m., in the first game of a UCI basketball double-header.