Sports in Brief

Baseball Wins Three Games in Minute

UCI 5, Alabama State 3

The ’Eaters opened up their 2012 baseball season with a sweep at the Urban Invitational at Minute Maid Park — home to the Houston Astros — in Houston, Tex. Scoring five runs in each game, Irvine outscored their opponents 15-6 over the weekend.

In the season opener against Alabama State on Feb. 17, the Anteaters tossed six pitchers on the mound in a 5-3 win. Senior first baseman Jordan Fox was 2-2 with two runs batted in and a walk.

On the hill, senior Crosby Slaught gave up one run in two innings, before sophomore righty Phillip Ferragamo took over and threw four scoreless innings, rendering one hit. Redshirt sophomore Mitch Merten recorded one out and picked up his first save.

UCI 5, Southern 1

On Feb. 18, the Anteaters held Southern University to one run and three hits. Junior southpaw Matt Whitehouse started, giving up one run in three innings. Kyle Hooper then took over in relief, rendering just one hit in four innings. Nick Hoover then held Southern hitless in the eighth and ninth innings. After trailing 1-0 through three, Irvine put two runs on the board in the fourth and sixth, before scoring their fifth and final run in the eighth.

UCI 5, Texas Southern 2

Tommy Reyes had a career-high four runs batted in, single-handedly defeating Texas Southern in Irvine’s final game at Minute Maid Park at the Urban Invitational on Feb. 19. Tied at two through six, the Anteaters broke it open with one run in the seventh and two in the eighth.

Reyes shifted back to second base, allowing freshman Taylor Sparks to start at third. Sparks was 3-3 and scored three runs.

Five pitchers combined for seven hits and two runs allowed for the Anteaters.