“Some Nights,” Just Have a Little Fun.

Courtesy of Fueled by Ramen

Every grievance we want to shout out to the world is sung in harmony with the upbeat and honest songs on “Some Nights,” the latest LP by fun. Each energized song begins with either a choir anthem of layered voices or the raw and refreshing voice of lead vocalist, Nate Ruess, in an ocean of silence.

As soon as “Glee” covered fun.’s new single “We Are Young” earlier this month, the song streamed into many students’ ears, exposing them to the refreshing instrumentals and unique vocals that fun. has to offer. Those who have been listening to fun. since 2009 know they had something exciting in store for their next release. Those who are new to fun. should be excited to find a new group to add to their favorites.

To fuse their styles into the band fun., Nate Ruess (lead vocals), Andrew Dost (vocals, piano, guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizers, trumpet, flugelhorn, glockenspiel, drums, percussion) and Jack Antonoff  (guitars, trumpet) ditched their respective unsuccessful bands and united together in New York in 2008 to create their own unique style of indie pop.

This album, released on Fueled by Ramen, was produced by Jeff Bhasker, who has produced for pop stars such as Alicia Keys, Beyoncé and Kanye West. Bhasker’s influence made “Some Nights” a more professional advancement of fun.’s debut album “Aim and Ignite” from 2009. We should expect to hear these songs, which are more catered to the mass audience, on the radio and behind jubilant movie scenes.

The introduction paired with the title track on “Some Nights” offers listeners a taste of the refreshingly theatrical songs that lie ahead. An operatic voice trails away while whispers lie in a faded tone behind a Queen-like harmonizing a capella crescendo in “Bohemian Rhapsody.” This anthem of sincere lyrics is reminiscent of the motivation of “Be Calm” and the defeated lover in “The Gambler” on “Aim and Ignite.” The confessional lyrics in “Some Nights” have an almost Eminem-style attitude that adds a witty shift to the song.

“We Are Young,” featuring Janelle Monáe, takes alternative listeners by storm with marching drums and slow-motion vocals that match its music video. The hopeful lyrics in “Carry On” may remind listeners of Phil Collins’ “Forever Young” while the excitement builds up to a cheering anthem of “We are shooting stars, we are who we are!” If that doesn’t make listeners jump out of their seats and dance, then this generation may have lost its ability to.

Hip hop beats frame “All Alone” and “One Foot” while “Why Am I the One” and “All Alright” bring us into our own thoughts with violins and a pleading voice that asks for hope to overcome the stresses of lost love and doubts in young life.

“Stars” generates an ironic blemish, as auto-tune supposedly perfects Ruess’ already uniquely talented voice but in effect falls flat. I would say fun. should be thankful that the lyrics of “Stars” keep the song relatively valued on “Some Nights,” but with the inspiring songs filled to the brim with instrumental excitement, balancing the sincere vocals of Ruess in a capella intros, I doubt fans will be turned off of fun. because of one experimental choice of editing.

The bonus track “Out on the Town” sounds like a mixture of Blink-182 backbeats and Phil Collins’ “You’ll Be In My Heart” (you know, the one from “Tarzan”). This final track succeeds in Ruess’ attempts to reconcile the loss he has expressed throughout the rest of the album.

The theatrical atmosphere we feel when we play one of the uplifting or confessional songs graces our ears thanks to the eclectic conglomeration of piano, trumpets, guitars and children’s choral voices. As with every fun. song, hope lingers in your spirit long after you hear these tracks;  fun. has a knack for voicing the doubt in our teenage emotions as we awkwardly strive to become mature souls with a purpose.

Rating: 5 out of 5