Juvenalian Judgments: Santorum is Worse Than What Google Told Me It Was

The ever-charming Rick Santorum told the press a few days ago that John F. Kennedy makes him want to vomit. Well, it wasn’t JFK as much as it was his beliefs in the separation of church and state. While Santorum hates the late Catholic as much as anyone in Cuba does, what strikes me as odd is the way Santorum addresses the issue of church and state.

“What makes me want to throw up is someone who is now trying to tell people that you will do what the government says. That now, we’re going to turn around and impose our values form the government on people … ”

OK, Ricky. Except, you’re forgetting one crucial thing. By maintaining a government that is intertwined with religiosity, you are forcing certain religious beliefs down the throats of everyone (and Santorum is strictly against putting anything longer than 5 inches in people’s mouths). Do you not see that?

There is an irony here that astounds me that more people don’t see. You can’t fight against government-sponsored religion, and still push religious beliefs on other people throughout all of your last 20 years in office.

And let us not forget the fact that Ricky Boy is the same person who has been pushing to rid of Sharia Law. Interesting. So, he wants to remove one religion from the political system completely, but complains when he feels another isn’t getting enough of a chance? OK.

So, basically, Santorum wants a Christian theocracy, which, is pretty much a slightly nicer term for Christofascism.

Santorum went on to talk about the discrimination people of faith (i.e. Christians) face when trying to participate in government. That’s a weird statement, considering that 100 percent of our presidents have been Christian. Why don’t we talk about the discrimination of Jews, Buddhists or God forbid, Muslims.

In our entire history, there have only been two Muslims elected into Congress. And anytime a Muslim tries to speak, suggest a ballot measure or build anything in New York, the religious Right attacks them, and labels them terrorists.

It sounds to me like Christians are doing a fine job at having their voices heard.

Santorum can try and make Kennedy out to be this discriminatory, elitist president all he wants, but when you look at what both of them say, Kennedy is more accepting (and logical) by a landslide. While Kennedy talks about wanting an America that isn’t run by “Catholics, Protestants or Jews,” nor that any religious institution is granted any special privileges in government, Santorum is out in the sidelines trying to pervert Kennedy’s speech into a meaning completely the opposite of what was actually said.

Even Newt “the grumpy elephant” Gingrich mentioned Santorum’s misguided hatred for the fellow Catholic. He pointed out that Kennedy’s speech was to stress that Kennedy wouldn’t be influenced by outside powers, but, instead, would be a man of the people.

When even your fellow red elephants are criticizing your tremendously idiotic remarks on FOX News (a station who’s hate is usually reserved for Democrats and immigrants), you know you’ve done something wrong.

So, besides the fact that he is a homophobic bigot who has declared a war on women’s rights, he can’t even get a simple JFK speech right.

Justin Huft is a third-year psychology and social behavior major. He can be reached at jhuft@uci.edu.