Women’s Tennis Suffers First Loss in Big West After Win Over Furman

UCI 2, LBSU 5

The UC Irvine women’s tennis team suffered their first loss in the Big West Conference after falling to No. 47 Long Beach State in an away game. UC Irvine is now 2-1 in the Big West and 8-5 overall. The 49ers, on the other hand, remain a perfect 5-0 in the Big West.

The 49ers took the doubles point at ease, taking away two games to secure the point. UCI managed to take solace in one win by junior Kristina Smith and sophomore Franziska Goettsching, who emerged with an 8-3 victory.

“Doubles has been a little up and down. They have been overall improving,” head coach Mike Edles said. “They’re not where we’re going to get to, but still in progress. I think in the next several matches our doubles are going to pick up a lot. We’ve been working on being more aggressive and coming to the net.”

LBSU hopped out to a 3-0 lead after winning two singles matches over senior Courtney Byron and Goettsching. However, freshman Kat Facey managed to keep UCI in the match with a crushing 6-2 and 6-3 victory.

“Kat has got a very strong year already. She’s has one of the best records on the team,” Edles said. “A very strong baseline player, her forehand is a killer shot. It’s really gives her opponent fits because it’s powerful.”

Sadly, unlike her sister, freshman Ali Facey gave up the winning point to the 49ers and took a tough 6-4 and 6-3 loss. Junior Stephanie Hammel managed to give UCI some solace by winning the second point in the last remaining game, coming out with a 6-4 and 7-6 victory which included a 7-4 tiebreaker victory in the second set.

UCI 4, Furman 3

The Anteaters took a dramatic victory over Furman at home on Wednesday, March 7, to extend their win streak to five games.

UCI saw early trouble after losing the doubles point. Senior pair Hannah Holladay and Courtney Byron took a tough 8-6 loss, but Junior Kristina Smith and sophomore Franziska Goettsching followed with an 8-5 victory. The point came down to an intense doubles match featuring doubles freshman pair Kat and Ali Facey. Despite putting up a good fight, they fell in a 7-5 tiebreaker to lose the match 9-8.

Kat Facey continued her strong run this season with a 6-3 and 6-2 victory to earn UCI’s first point. Byron followed with a dominant 6-1 and 6-2 victory, and Smith gave UCI a two point advantage with a 6-1 and 6-4 win in her match.

The Paladins came back with two singles win to tie the game, leaving the match to Ali Facey. With the match tied 1-1, Facey took down her opponent with a 6-3 win to take the game for Irvine.