Hardly Even the Fairest

Courtesy of Relativity Media

You may consider biting into a poisonous apple yourself after watching Tarsem Singh’s adaptation of Snow White, “Mirror Mirror.” The film features Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen, Lily Collins as Snow White and Armie Hammer as the charming Prince.

Before it was even released, “Mirror Mirror” was put up against its upcoming rival, the other Snow White adaptation “Snow White and the Huntsman,” which features Kristen Stewart and portrays a much more serious side to the tale. It’s clear the two movies are vastly different. “Snow White and the Huntsman” attempts to do something different to the classic tale and showcases an epic battle Snow must face. “Mirror Mirror” is a quirky comedy, happy to romp around with goofy humor and cartoonish visual splendor, complete with over the top exquisite costumes and sets.

Told from the perspective of the Evil Queen, “Mirror Mirror” opens with the Queen’s telling of the classic version of the tale. Beginning with the death of the King (Snow White’s father), the film goes on to her envy of Snow White’s beauty and, of course, her evil plans with her handy mirror. The Queen’s envy kicks in to full gear after she meets a prince from a nearby land — a prince whom the Queen wants to marry.

Although the story does its job of retelling the story and has eye-catching visuals, it is short of narrative. The dialogue becomes lackluster yet remains tolerable. The movie seems to have a gap between visuals and meaningful dialogue, creating a lack of coherency.

In addition, the characters don’t seem to have a connection with each other; they don’t possess any energy or chemistry with one another, which would have been nice between Snow White and the Prince.

Roberts delivers a mediocre performance, but when put alongside the surprisingly goofy Prince, brings forth a silly enough moment to barely entertain. Hammer’s performance as the Prince is the real highlight here. Collins nails the sweet princess act but can stand to do a little more with the character.

This clear-cut and quirky film definitely isn’t for everyone and seems to be comfortable with being not the movie of the year, but rather a merely cute telling of the Snow White tale meant for the likes of easily entertained tweens. “Mirror Mirror” is not meant for anyone expecting anything more then a small number of laughs, costumes and designs elaborate enough to distract and a quirky telling of a well-known tale.

Rating: 3 out of 5