Madonna Falls Short

Courtesy of Interscope Records

Let’s face it. Madonna is a music icon. She has done it all. She’s an actress, dancer, author and, foremost, a singer. She is the original “material girl” and has had numerous hit tracks including “Like a Virgin,” “Vogue” and “Like a Prayer.” Madonna has continued to reinvent herself and has gained many fans over the years.

I was excited to hear what new music Madonna had in store for us, but after hearing the cheerleader-esque song “Give Me All Your Luvin’” at the Super Bowl, I was a bit skeptical of her new album.

Madonna’s newest album, “MDNA,” has something for every Madonna fan. The album has a mixture of everything Madonna is famous for: ’80s pop star, material girl, ’90s R&B queen, ’90s electric goddess, early 2000s wife and mother and the Madonna of today who just doesn’t give a fuck.

Madonna starts off the album with the addictive and catchy song “Girl Gone Wild” with the lyrics “No one can put out my fire.” The music video to this song is similar to “Vogue” and lets fans know that Madonna is certainly not ready to retire any time soon.

Madonna recruited M.I.A., Nicki Minaj and Martin Solveig of the hit song “Hello” to collaborate with her on this new album. While these artists are popular with their own hit songs, their collaboration with Madonna proved to be a mistake. “Give Me All Your Luvin’” paired with M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj has the sound of two of pop’s greatest female voices gone wrong and just sounds elementary compared to Madonna’s bad girl image.

“Gang Bang” has a good, danceable beat and seems to be referring to her relationship with her ex-boyfriend Guy Ritchie. As she writes, “I thought you were good but you painted me bad / Compared to the others you’re the best thing I had.”

“I’m Addicted,” “Some Girls” and “Turn Up the Radio” stand out as the better songs on the album. “I Don’t Give A” gives a shout-out to her fans about what the critics are saying with the words “I’m going to be OK / I don’t care what the people say.”

Older fans of Madonna will appreciate tracks reminiscent of older songs, but the similar sounds may not bring the same demand to younger audiences. Older listeners that are expecting something new from Madonna also won’t quite be satisfied. Nothing is new; every single one of the 12 songs on the album could easily fit into one of her other albums.

It is clear that “MDNA” is made by someone who is not in touch with today’s popular music. She has had to compete with young pop stars including Britney Spears, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga and at 53 years old, it seems that Madonna can no longer relate to the demographics of today’s pop culture.

Rating: 3 out of 5