Sports In Brief

Not Renewed

The contract of women’s basketball coach Molly Goodenbour (seen above). In four years, Goodenbour led the Anteaters to a 44-76 record. A former standout at Stanford University who played on the 1990 and 1992 National Championship teams, Goodenbour leaves the program after finishing in third place in the Big West Conference and being upset by the conference tournament’s eventual-champion, UCSB, the five seed. The Anteaters were 13-16 in 2011-12, a considerable improvement from her first two seasons, when she coached the team to a combined 16-44 record. Her best season came in 2010-11, a .500 season, finishing 15-15.

“We appreciate Molly’s contributions over the last four seasons, but I believe this is the right time to transition our program to new coaching leadership,” Athletic Director Mike Izzi released in a statement.

Izzi will now conduct a nationwide search to identify Goodenbour’s successor.

Honored

By the Big West as the conference’s Scholar-Athletes of the Year – D.J. Crumlich and Lexi Kopf.

Crumlich, a senior shortstop for the baseball team, is a business economics major. The shortstop is a Dean’s Honor List member who dreams of pursuing a professional baseball career. In his free time, Crumlich volunteers as a coach for an 11-year-old baseball team and at the Boys and Girls Club of Laguna Beach. On the diamond this season, Crumlich is hitting .337 with a team-high nine doubles at press time.

Kopf was named to the Big West’s Fall All-Academic Team and is a Dean’s Honor List member. The senior scored 11 goals in the fall, ranking ninth all-time in school history with 20. Kopf, an aspiring surgeon, volunteers for children with cancer at the Children’s Hospital of Orange County.

Named

Big West Golfer of the Month – Lalita Patipaksiri. It was Patipaksiri’s first time receiving the award. In two tournaments in March, Patipaksiri finished in the top five, including a season-best third place finish at the Julie Inkster Invitational. She also finished in fifth place at the Anteater Invitational, carding season-low rounds of 71 at each respective tournament.

Records

Registered by senior Jacob Yowell at the Anteater Invitational on March 24. Yowell set meet records by finishing the 110-meter hurdles in 13.91 seconds and the 400-meter hurdles in 51.81 seconds. His 110-meter time ranks second in UCI school history.

Yowell also teamed with Cam Mitchell, Dominic Jester and Charles Jock to finish with a season-best second place finish with a time of 3:12.50 in the 4×100 relay at UCI’s annual invitational.