Irvine Extends Win Streak

UCI 14, Pacific 2

After crushing University of the Pacific 14-2 on April 8, the women’s water polo team extended their win streak to nine. Irvine gave the Tigers an unforgettable Easter Sunday, holding them to one goal in each half.  UCI is now 4-0 in the Big West and holds a 21-5 record overall this season.

“I just think we get to a time where we play a lot of games early on in the season and we get to a time now where we practice more and play few less games,” Head Coach Dan Klatt said. “We’re able to key in those games and strategize.”

Sophomore Danielle Warde scored three of her four goals in the first period, while junior Jesse Cardey converted a penalty to give UCI a 4-1 lead.

The Croghan sisters wreaked havoc on the Tigers’ defense in the second period as younger sister Hannah Croghan assisted in Katie Croghan’s two goals. Katie helped Hannah add to the stats sheet, assisting in Hannah’s goal to give UCI a 7-1 lead. Junior Layne Kipp struck the net for the 14th and final goal, totaling up three goals in the afternoon.

The Anteaters kept their defense tight despite the comfortable lead. They were able to force many misses and junior Kate Avetoom surpassed the century mark with eight saves, totaling up to 107 this season.

“We just talk about being prideful with every possession. Regardless of whether we are ahead by a lot or not, we’re representing ourselves and our team and our school in every single possession that we play,” Klatt said. “We want to show teams that we’re relentless and this is what we do.  There’s not going to be any softness from us. And we’re going to compete until the buzzer sounds off.”

UCI 10, UCD 4

UCI’s extended their unbeaten run to eight after thrashing UC Davis 10-4 on April 7. The victory snapped the Aggies’ eight-game win steak.

UCI’s offense exploded in the first half. Senior Katie Croghan and her younger sister, sophomore Hannah Croghan, scored one goal apiece to help UCI lead 3-0 after one quarter.

Kate Avetoom and UCI’s defense stopped two Davis power plays. The goalkeeper also managed a save, tipping a ball away from the post with little over two minutes left in the game.

UCI extended their lead to 5-0 in the start of the second quarter, when the Aggies finally tallied a goal. However, the four goal deficit was the closest UCI would ever let the Aggies get.

The Croghan sisters played a major role in the offensive end, each scoring their second goals in the second period. Sophomore Michaela Pierandozzi and junior Annika Bergeson struck the net to give UCI a 8-3 lead into the half.

The Aggies would put a stronger push on the offensive end in the second half, but it would be to no avail. Davis was held to a season low four goals.

Avetoom recorded eight saves in the second half, conceding only one goal in the fourth quarter.