Kring Returns with “Touch”

From the mind of “Heroes” creator Tim Kring comes “Touch,” a new show that reveals connections between seemingly distant strangers and events via patterns and numbers. Sounds trippy, right?

How does an 11 year-old boy named Jake (David Mazouz) know a random number that, in the course of the day, connects individuals around the world as an address, a phone number or even a safe combination?

Kring’s latest delve into the world of fantasy follows Martin Bohm (Kiefer Sutherland), Jake’s widowed father who desperately tries to find ways to communicate with his son, who has never spoken a word in his life.

He is shocked to discover that there is a deeper, hidden meaning behind the seemingly arbitrary numbers Jake always tends to scribble; they represent patterns that connect random events from around the world in ways that seem to only be seen by Jake. Jake refuses to let people touch him, especially his father, or he’ll go into a screaming frenzy, hence the show being called “Touch.” Clever.

With each new episode, it is Martin’s job to be the messenger, connecting the dots and finding the patterns that Jake lists in his numbers. According to Professor Arthur Teller (Danny Glover), a specialist on gifted humans, every time certain tasks are fulfilled, there is no disturbance for Jake. Basically, through Jake, Martin is able to help make the world a better place.

As a huge fan of “Heroes” and Kring’s work as a writer, I was ecstatic to hear that he would have a new show on primetime. Add in Sutherland, who will always be Jack Bauer from “24,” and it was sure to be a hit.

Thankfully, I was right; “Touch” has proven to be one of the best new shows I have seen in years. I tip my hat to the writing staff for generating such concepts and storylines that show how the dots around the globe do indeed connect, showing how small the world is.

As the series progresses, it’s a plus to see how the relationship between Martin and his son grows every week. He is convinced that after 11 years, this is finally the way that he can communicate with his son, and Sutherland is able to deliver a beyond believable performance. Though quiet, newcomer Mazouz shows that he studied his character well with his haunting depiction of Jake.

While the acting is superb, it should be noted that “Touch” is definitely a show to pay full and close attention to. It may sometimes move fast, and viewers may get lost in scenes, especially with subtitles. Don’t let that stop you from watching, as the clever connections make for a well-spent hour of leaving the viewer completely amazed.

Rating: 4 out of 5