Spring Quarter’s Culture Nights

By James S. Kim
Staff Writer

There is certainly no shortage of diversity here at UC Irvine. The various cultural clubs on campus love recognizing their respective cultures in a spirit of celebration and community, and once a year, many of these clubs put on events showcasing their culture.
If you are able, come out and support what clubs you can. You can be assured that every performance will be unique.
The following culture nights are listed by date.

Kababayan’s 33rd Annual Pilipino-American Culture Night
Friday, April 20
Bren Events Center
Doors open: 5:30 p.m.

Those who attend Kababayan’s PACN, titled “One Night Only,” will experience aspects of both traditional Pilipino culture and Pilipino-American culture. Performances highlight traditional dances like Tinikling, songs in both English and Tagalog, as well as contemporary dance groups, including Kaba Modern. PACN will also present a light-hearted skit that will attempt to engage the audience with the performers by “breaking the fourth wall.”
Presale tickets are $10 for UCI students ($12 reserved), and $13 for general admission ($15 reserved). Prices will be $15 for general admission ($17 reserved) on the day of the event.

2nd Annual Korean Culture Night
Friday, April 20
Barclay Theater
Doors open 6:30 p.m.

Korean Culture Night, sponsored by Konnect and the Korean-American Student Association (KASA), is back for its second annual run, and the production features performances by modern dance group Urban Motus, Konnect’s Kpop dance team, a traditional fan dance group and Hansori, a Korean traditional percussion (samulnori) group. The production also includes a play titled “The Tale of the Well’s Blessing.”
Tickets are $8 and are being sold on Ring Road. The price will increase to $10 at the box office the day of the show.

Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth (SPICMACAY)’s Indian Classical (Bharatanatyam) Dance Concert
Sunday, April 22
Physical Sciences Lecture Hall (PSLH) 100
Show begins: 5:30 p.m.

SPICMACAY at UCI will be playing host to a Bharatnatyam performance by artist Lavanya Ananth. As an established talented danseuse of India, Ananth represents the “graceful picturesque Vazhuvoor style of Bharathanatyam – a South Indian classical dance form. Ananth presents her art form as an offering of the inner self with sculpted lines of perfection and symmetry in pure dance and deeply involved emotions in expressive dance.” Ananth will also be accompanied by a team of highly accomplished musicians from Chennai-India.
Admission is free to this event.

Anteaters for Israel (AFI)’s 5th Annual iFest
April 23-26

AFI will be hosting iFest for the fifth consecutive year. This year’s events, according to AFI, are much more concentrated, bringing a lot more substance and creating a “360 degree view of what the small nation has achieved/has to offer.”
The week’s events are divided into different categories of Israeli achievement: Monday will focus on policy; Tuesday will focus on music; Wednesday will highlight art and feature the company Artists 4 Israel. On Thursday, AFI will be hosting their Tel Aviv Club Party, “Electric Garden.” AFI will host a traditional Shabbat dinner on Friday to conclude their week of festivities.
AFI will also feature its annual mock Ben Yehuda Street along Ring Road Wednesday and Thursday.

Indian Subcontinental Club (ISC)’s 26th Annual Culture Show
Wednesday, April 28
Barclay Theater
Doors open: 5:30 p.m.

ISC’s culture show, JADOO, will be an evening of nine different dances prepared by ISC members. The main exhibition acts will be led by UCI’s very own ZAMANA, a coed Hindi film dance group, and Andaaz, an Indian A Capella group.
ISC members will be able to attend the culture show for free, while other UCI students can get in, with student ID, for $10. General admission is $15.

Cambodian Awareness Organization (CAO)’s 3rd Annual Charity Culture Night
May 5, 2012
Crystal Cove Auditorium (Student Center)
Doors open: 6:30 p.m.

CAO’s Culture Night, titled “Tale as Old as Khmer,” will showcase a special skit, modern dance, a performance by Cambodian vocalist and UCI alumnus Phanith Sovan.
The admission to the culture night will be free. CAO, however, will be collecting donations, and the proceeds will go to underprivileged children in Cambodia.
Members of CAO will deliver the aid during CAO’s annual philanthropy trip to Cambodia. This year, CAO members and leaders will be joining a professional medical team in the winter.

Tomo no Kai’s 25th Annual Cultural Night
Sunday, May 6
Barclay Theater
Doors open 5:00 p.m.

Tomo no Kai’s annual Cultural Night, titled “Our Turn in the Spotlight,” showcases various performances by its various club members. The performances include Tones, a singing group; Modern, a hip-hop dance group; a skit; Jodaiko, UCI’s Taiko group; Odori, traditional Japanese dancing; and STOMP, a combination of all the performances.
The culture night will not only be funny and entertaining but also educational for those who might not know a lot about the Japanese/Japanese-American culture and the different issues that affect the community today.
Tickets are $5 for UCI students and $7 for non-students.

Chinese Association (CAUCI)’s 26th Annual Culture Night
Saturday, May 12
Bren Events Center
Doors open: 6:00 p.m.

Titled “Windfalls,” CAUCI’s culture night will showcase both traditional and modern Chinese dancing with performances by CAMA and CA Dance Crew (CADC). The production centers on a skit about on a young con artist and his adventure with his comrades in a search for a mystical herb that will save a dying emperor’s life.
Tickets are $9 for UCI students and $12 for general admission.

Iranian Student Union (ISU)’s 5th Annual Culture Show
Saturday, May 12
Crystal Cove Auditorium
Show starts: 7:30 p.m.

ISU’s 5th Annual Culture Show will feature a main skit, dances, musical performances and a comedy act. Music acts will be led by DJ Al and DJ Farid.

Thai Culture Night
Sunday, May 13
Doheny Beach (Student Center)
Show starts: 7:00 p.m.

This year’s Thai Culture Night will hold a special significance for many of its members. During the 2011 monsoon season, severe flooding occurred in Thailand, affecting over 13.6 million people. All proceeds from this culture night will go to the recovery efforts in Thailand.
The show itself will feature a skit along with performances by a modern dance group and traditional Thai songs. The preshow will feature a b-boy group and the band Fireworks.
Audience members will have the chance to upgrade their tickets to special “interactive” seats at the door, and numbers are limited. Pad Thai and Thai tea will be sold before the show as well.
Tickets are $5, and the seat upgrades will be available at the door.

Vietnamese Student Association at UCI (VSAUCI)’s 33rd Annual Culture Night
Sunday, May 20
Barclay Theater
Show starts: 6:30 p.m.

VSAUCI’s culture night, titled “Two of Hearts,” will provide UCI students to celebrate Vietnamese culture “with a night of acting, singing and dancing” with all in-house performers, including a VSA choir, modern dance team Level 5 Origins, lion dance (Gio Nam), Shadow Ninjas and traditional dance.
Tickets are available for $10 during presale and will be $13 at the door.

Ballet Folklorico de UCI’s 32nd Annual Spring Recital
Friday, June 8
Winifred Smith Hall
Food: 5:00-6:00 p.m.; Show: 7:00

Ballet Folklorico de UCI’s Spring Recitial 2011-2012 will be presenting a performance that encompasses dances from different states of Mexico. Each region has different costumes, hair pieces, dance steps, body movements and techniques, and the variety of regions presented this year will be to provide a beautiful and entertaining performance.
Mexican cuisine in the form of appetizers and meals will be sold before the event. Tickets are $5 for UCI students and $10 for general admission.