No Trust in ‘Apartment 23’

Set in the concrete jungle that is New York City, “Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23” is pretty much self-explanatory.

The show follows the story of a naïve Midwestern girl, June (Dreama Walker), who leaves the safe nest of her hometown to pursue her perfect Wall Street job, live in her perfect apartment and marry her perfect fiancé in New York City –– but fate has other plans for her. Upon reaching New York, she finds out that the corporate company has gone bankrupt, she is kicked out from her apartment and her fiancé has been cheating on her. Desperate to find a new apartment she moves into Apartment 23 and meets her roommate: Chloe (Krysten Ritter).

A party-loving con-artist who doesn’t have a regular job, Chloe is not the usual roommate. Eli, the pervert next door who occasionally drops in life mantras and Robin, is obsessed with Chloe. Oh, and James Van Der Beek is playing a fictionalized version of himself as Chloe’s ex-boyfriend turned best friend. Despite all these fallings and warnings, literally, of “don’t trust the bitch in apartment 23,” June still signs the dotted line. Go figure!

Together, June and Chloe find themselves in perplexing situations mainly orchestrated by Chloe. For example, June finds herself in the very awkward position of dating Chloe’s dad after she sets them up together in the second episode. And in the third, Chloe cunningly tricks the wide-eyed June into adopting a foster child by posing as a lesbian couple.

After playing supporting roles, Krysten Ritter (“Confessions of a Shopaholic,” “She’s Out of My League”) finally gets her break and lands the lead role as the bitch in Apartment 23. She perfectly fits the skin of a quirky yet adorable Chloe. The relatively fresh-faced Dreama Walker, on the other hand, has yet to step up her game and her performance clearly falls short. James Van Der Beek (“Dawson’s Creek”) is back on the small screen, playing himself with great vitality and is typecast as the joker, the funny yet handsome man of the series.

The show has potential for capturing a bigger audience mainly because the premise is interesting. The characters can expand and grow in many directions, but if the writers do not move fast enough, “Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23” has a high chance of going the way of ABC’s short lived “Pan Am.”

Rating: 3/5