186

Are pastries the first things that come to mind when you hear the word Danish? Yeah, me too.  Word association with pastries, however, isn’t the only byproduct of Denmark. Also from the Kingdom of Denmark are The Raveonettes, an indie rock duo who recently released their EP “Into the Night.” With only four tracks, “Into the Night” is short, but fails to be sweet.

The Raveonettes are reminiscent of bands like Best Coast, The Drums and Cults, but with an edgier and less pop-like sensibility to them. Made up of Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo, this male and female duo injects ghostly sounds, dreamy melodies and Foo’s androgynous voice to dial back the cheeriness a few notches while still straddling the border’s surf pop/noise pop/indie rock genres.The EP starts off with the title track, “Into the Night,” which begins with a nice plucky guitar that makes it sound like it’s going to be one badass track, but within a few more seconds it shifts into this airy tune accompanied by Foo singing, “Heartbreak / Oh heartbreak / I hate you.” Ugh, another version of a noise-pop breakup song.

For the next three minutes or so of the track, Foo continues to sing along to the monotonous background music, making it sound like Foo herself doesn’t even care about what she’s singing.

The following track, “Night Comes Out,” is another uneventful track; once again, static-filled instruments make Foo seem less than jubilant that she’s a part of a band. Passable.

Next is “Too Close to Heartbreak,” which seems to have the most potential with its Beach Boys-like guitar riffs. Upbeat and catchy, it’s not a bad tune as long as you don’t mind Foo repeating the same lyrics:  “Too close to heartbreak” and “Take me / Make me / Break me.” The surf rock sound made famous by The Beach Boys permeates throughout the song, softening the edges of their more dismal sound when compared to the previous two tracks.

Finally, we come across “Bad Ghosts,” a weak finisher. The instrumentation on “Bad Ghosts” makes it so difficult to hear what Foo is singing and when we’re finally able to discern the lyrics, it sucks to hear that one of the few comprehensible things that Foo sings is, “You’ve got it bad ghosts.” What does that even mean, Foo?

Rating: 1/5