Sports In Brief 5-15

UCI Drops Series to Matadors

After winning 5-3 on Friday night, the ’Eaters lost the series to Cal State Northridge after losing 6-3 on Saturday afternoon and 5-4 on Sunday.

On May 13 Freshman Jerry McClanahan drove in the winning run at Matador Field while sophomore pitcher Andrew Thurman improved to 7-2.  Thurman held CSUN to nine hits with three strikeouts on the night.   Sophomore Jimmy Litchfield threw a perfect eighth inning and junior Race Parmenter picked up his eighth save.

On Saturday, sophomore Dillon Moyer and freshman catcher Chris Rabago led the ’Eaters with two hits apiece while senior Crosby Slaught allowed one hit and three runs in three innings.

On Sunday, Senior second baseman Tommy Reyes led UCI with two runs and two hits while seniors Jordan Fox and D.J. Crumlich both drove in a run on two hits.

UC Irvine will look to improve on their 12-9 conference record on Tuesday night against San Diego at home.

Senior D.J. Crumlich has been named to the Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year Award watch list, a national honor awarded to the top college shortstop. Crumlich currently boasts a .961 fielding percentage with a .313 batting average. He leads the team in doubles with 13, placing him fifth in the Big West.

Jun Named to All-Big West First Team

Sophomore Allen Jun, who leads Irvine with a 73.15 average, was named to the All-Big West first team and will compete in the NCAA Regional at Stanford on May 17-19.

Freshman Pete Fernandez was selected to the All-Big West second team after finishing with a 73.56 average.

The two tied for ninth place on April 29-May 1 at the Big West Championship with 1-under par 215 and 54-hole totals.