Confessions Through the Closet: Expression With Fashion

There is something emotional and provocative about a confession. It’s not solely a portrayal of information, but a defense of oneself; an assertion of one’s beliefs and morality. But this highly emotive action can be done without words; a confession can be portrayed through fashion. Whether we try to or not, certain pieces make a statement. There are the subtle confessions: the undergarments that hint that you’re interested in someone, short shorts that flaunt your fit body and even the modification of outfits that ask for attention (I like to call this one the “Regina George,” as seen in Mean Girls). But then there are the confessions that are as subtle as a school bus: those incessant billboards for fashion that college students seem to live by.

“Rush Week 2012,” “Meat is Murder” and “I Has Cheezburger” are just some of the billboards you’ll see going around Ring Road; they’re the most hideously printed screen-tees, the style almost as offensively uninventive as its slogans. But with a confession, there is no need to verbalize your plight or personal belief. It is simply a way of making your views be seen and getting yourself heard. So then the question arises: How to confess?

It’s simpler than you thought. There’s no need to be pushy.Bombarding our eyes with visual representations of your own personal beliefs does not get you the attention that you seek. So instead of making a screen-tee, or shouting at the top of your lungs, make a statement with your fashion. Subtle yet conversation-starting pieces of clothing will easily draw attention to that which you most wanted to confess, but in a way that is less aggressive than a screen tee barrage.

It sounds silly and cliché, but when you’re really into someone, there is a lot to be said about the underwear you choose. Not that you will be flashing them anytime soon, but something about sleek, expensive underwear gives you  confidence that radiates through.

If you’re a vegan who’s anti-fur, then maybe wearing a “Fur is Murder!” tee and throwing paint on people isn’t the best way to have people sympathize with your views. Wearing interesting and chic eco-friendly clothing, like hemp shoes or recycled cotton, will draw attention towards you, and once a conversation is started, you can steer it whichever way you like.

There is something to be said about subtlety, a notion that is generally dismissed in life and fashion. You need not differentiate yourself so distinctly (trust me, we get it). So you have a ukulele; you must be a hipster. You have anime figures dripping from your backpack; you must be individualistic. When you differentiate yourself through such ridiculous and obvious stereotypes, it not only diminishes what you’re saying but also makes people shut their ears and minds to you.

So inspire conversations, draw attention to your outfit, and allow  your views to be heard and seen. It’s honestly a much better approach than your annoying tees and incessant ranting. Just saying.