Sports in Brief

Jock Qualifies for NCAAs

Senior Charles Jock punched a ticket to the NCAA Men’s Track & Field Championship with a top-three finish in the 800-meter at the NCAA West Preliminiary Round in Austin, Texas on May 25. Jock ran a 1:47.93 in his heat at Mike A. Myers Stadium to qualify for the NCAA Championship, which will be held June 6-9.

Jacob Yowell did not find the same success as Jock, finishing 17th out of the 27 competitors on Saturday, May 26. Although he tied his personal record with a time of 13.91, it wasn’t enough to qualify for the NCAA Championships in Des Moines.

On the female hurdles competition, senior Amber Middleton ran her last race as an Anteater. Middleton fell short on May 25 after running 13.72, .01 off her personal record. Her time was also .07 away from the last qualifying time for Saturday’s quarterfinal.

Baseball Beaten in Season Finale

The UC Irvine baseball team went through a rough final week, first dropping their final home game on May 22 to UCLA 6-2. After the Bruins jumped onto a 3-0 lead, Chris Rabago knocked his first homerun of the season to cut UCLA’s lead in the third inning. However, UCLA tagged UCI with one run in the seventh and two runs in the eighth. Irvine wouldn’t recover.

The Anteaters then lost the final series of the year to UC Davis. Junior ace Andrew Thurman took a loss after winning six straight games. On Friday, May 25 UCI was shut out, 4-0.

Senior Crosby Slaught took the hill for UCI on May 26, giving up three runs in four innings of work. UC Davis saw another pitcher go the distance for the second straight night as UCI was held scoreless for eight innings. In the top of the ninth inning, with one out, senior Tommy Reyes smacked a triple followed by an RBI single for senior Jordan Fox to give UCI their first run of the series. However, UCI dropped a second straight to UCD with a 3-1 loss.

The Anteaters won their final game of the season, handing the Aggies a 10-1 loss on May 27. Sophomore Evan Brock threw six innings, giving up one run off a solo homer. The win is Head Coach Mike Gillespie’s 200th win at UCI, as he has compiled a 200-97 record in five seasons at UCI.

UCI finishes the season 31-25 overall and 13-11 in the Big West.