The Summer Job Seeker

David Conley/New University

Going into my very first job interview, I was not happy. I was supposed to be at the beach, not sitting in the middle of a Taco Bell with a cup of water anxiously waiting for the manager to call me in for an interview. However, I knew that this was something that I and many other college students must endure during these warm and blissful months, so I sat there until finally the restaurant died down and the manager was able to speak with me. She explained to me the perks of working at Taco Bell and how it was a job based on team effort, but the most important thing she reminded me of was that I wouldn’t be able to start working for another month or two. Well, so much for a summer job.

The thing about jobs is that you cannot procrastinate on searching for them because employers probably would not want to hire a procrastinator anyways, and it is a long process. In the case of Taco Bell, for example, they had already hired people for the summer and were now looking for workers for the school year. If I would have applied a couple of months earlier, I would have already had a job booked for the summer. But I, of course, did not do that, and I’m now stuck applying to ten more places hoping that they will need more workers this summer.

I had always thought it would be easy to find a job once I was eighteen, and now that I am a college student, I thought that everyone would want me. Now I know that there are a lot of college students like me applying to these same places.

Reminiscent of college applications, it is all about the resume. Your resume, or lack of one in my case, is what employers measure you by and it is what gets you an interview or not. The second thing that is important to job seekers is persistence. After you apply (either in person or online), call back in a week and ask them of the status of your application. This shows that you are eager and really want the job, which might make up for your half-page resume, or my half-page resume to be exact. Make a list of all the places you applied to with the date written down next to it so that you will not forget to call back in a week or more.

For any job interview, it is imperative that you dress nicely. Even if you feel a little silly walking into a Taco Bell in the middle of the summer with a skirt and tights, wear it and wear it with confidence. I borrowed most of the nice clothes I wore that day, but I still made sure I didn’t look as if I felt awkward in them. It was definitely a challenge, though, especially during the summer when my tights felt like they were sticking to me and I just wanted to jump out of the skirt and into some shorts.

When the manager took me to an empty table, I was surprisingly not nervous because she seemed really nice. Also, the fact that she was not interviewing me in an office made it seem more casual. She was always smiling and telling me how she gets along with everyone and she seemed like a genuinely good person, which made it easier to smile throughout the whole interview. Even though I am not normally a bubbly person, I knew I had to turn the bubbly personality notch way up that day. At the end of the interview, she gave me an exact date and time to call her about the job, and shook my hand.

Whichever way this job turns out, I learned a lot from this one interview, and will definitely take it to future job interviews.