Sports in Brief (SIB): Welcome Week

Women’s Volleyball

With an undefeated 2-0 record in Big West play (7-8 overall), UC Irvine will face the (3-0, 10-2) Rainbow Warriors on Thursday, September 21 on Hawaiian territory to battle it out for the untarnished record.  Coming off of a Cal Poly sweep at the Bren Events Center on Saturday, September 22, junior Aly Squires currently leads the ‘Eaters in kills with 214 followed by redshirt freshman Marisa Bubica with 160. Senior Kristin Winkler, who recently broke the UCI record for career digs now totals 271, followed by Squires with 144.

Men’s Water Polo

At 10-1 overall, the only team to rob the ‘Eaters of a win was Cal on Saturday, September 15 at the Stanford, Northern California Tournament where they fell to the Bears 14-7. The ‘Eaters then faced Pacific in a nail-biting match where they finished on top thanks to a goal scored by junior Bojan Hrlec with a mere 29 seconds remaining on the clock. The ‘Eaters will face an unnamed opponent on Saturday, September 29, at the Santa Barbara, Southern California Tournament and are looking to open their tournament appearance with a win.

Men’s Golf

UCI  will see its first 2012-2013 action at the Saint Mary’s Invitational on Monday, September 24. Competing for Irvine will be sophomore Pete Fernandez, junior Ryan Knapp, freshman Jacob Schulze, senior Michael Yand and junior Travis Russell. The tournament consists of back-to-back days with 36 holes to be played at the Bayonet and Black Horse Golf Courses in Monterey Bay. UCI will compete against a number of California rivals in addition to out of state schools.