Campaign Corner: Master Debaters Ep. 1

The Mitt Romney show aired nationally with Jim Lehrer as its host last Wednesday night, guest starring President Obama. What was supposed to be a debate centered on domestic policy turned into long-winded monologues and a verbal stampede on Jim Lehrer’s integrity as a moderator.

Going into the debate, many expected Obama to awe viewers with his usual poise as a speaker and moving speeches, however, that version of President Obama seemed to be absent during the discourse between the two candidates. Instead, Romney proved his prowess as he cited statistics and made lists with his “five step” economic plan and comprehensive measure of how to eliminate useless government programs (including PBS).

Granted, some of Romney’s plans were a little far-fetched, especially with his plan to produce no revenue through taxes while solving our economic deficit. However, the fact of the matter is, he came out seeming more prepared with more comprehensive solutions than the President did. The two candidates went back and forth on job growth — a topic that dominated the first half of the debate. Romney took this opportunity to focus on how Obama’s plans would harm the top 3 percent of job creators.

Though Obama spent time on the defensive, he did question the former governor on his plans for Medicare and his supposed five trillion dollar tax cut. The President also appeared on the offensive when it came down to Romney’s support of loopholes and deductions for corporations and his support of the top three percent of business owners.

However, this is just the beginning of the debate area — tune in on Oct. 11 when Paul “Pinocchio” Ryan and Joe “Foot-in-Mouth” Biden face off for the vice presidential debate.

Sarah Menendez is a second-year political science and literary journalism double major. She can be reached at smenende@uci.edu