EVCP Search Begins

The search for an Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost begins with a focus on student input.

The UC Irvine administration took its first step in appointing a new Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost (EVCP) by hosting an open town hall meeting last Monday, Oct. 1.

Attendees of the meeting were able to ask questions and discuss with the search committee regarding the responsibilities of the EVCP as well as the requirements and qualities needed in a candidate.

Chancellor Michael V. Drake compared the responsibilities of the EVCP to that of a “chief operating officer” of a company. These responsibilities include working closely with the Chancellor, managing the budget and overseeing the hiring of faculty. All the deans report to the EVCP as well.

The EVCP should most importantly represent the school, and Chancellor Drake said the search committee will look at both internal and external candidates for the position.

The EVCP will have no fixed term, serving an “at-will” appointment, which means he or she will serve at the Chancellor’s pleasure. Besides the administrative duties, the EVCP will have an academic position, a “departmental home” for the individual.

The academic position is not at-will, but it will offer a position for the EVCP to fall back onto if he or she decides to step down from the administrative position.

The former Executive Vice Chancellor, Michael R. Gottfredson, also held a position as a Professor of Criminology, Law & Society and Sociology. He became the Executive Vice Chancellor in July 2000 and served until this past summer, when he accepted the presidency of the University of Oregon.

When asked to review Gottfredson’s term as Executive Vice Chancellor, individuals of the search committee praised his willingness to communicate and his “rational actions” concerning the budget during the budget crisis.

Other praises included Gottfredson’s work in diversifying and multiplying the faculty, specifically recruiting female and minority members.

The search committee also rejected the possibility that the next EVCP would be paid less than Gottfredson.

Vice Chancellor Thomas A. Parham said the EVCP must represent the character of the University, which is to promote excellence, accessibility and affordability. Cutting salary, he said, would limit the pool of candidates who would represent those characteristics.

The committee also pointed out the salary of the EVCP would be lower than the “market value.”

Albert F. Bennett, Dean of the School of Biological Sciences, said that all of the faculty were working “below market salary” and “making sacrifices” to be at the University.

Chancellor Drake added that any increase in salary for the EVCP position would still be “20-30 percent behind market value.”

The search committee stressed the importance of student involvement and awareness in the search process, pointing out the three student representatives.

The committee emphasized the importance of student input during the search process.

The committee said it is “unusual” to have three student representatives in Student Regent Cinthia Flores, AGS President Justin Chung and ASUCI President Traci Ishigo, but they represent the student constituency at large alongside the various faculty members.

Students are encouraged to participate and be aware of the complexity of the process in the search for a candidate, as well as the intricacies of the role of the Executive Vice Chancellor.

The next town hall meeting will be held on Oct. 16 from 12-1 p.m. in the Crystal Cove Auditorium.