185

President Obama and Governor Romney got a taste of something sweet as Candy Crowley hosted the second presidential debate of election season. The two candidates participated in a town hall-style debate with 82 uncommitted voters, who asked a variety of questions on foreign and domestic policy.
The forum opened up with a question from a college student concerned about jobs after graduation. Both candidates answered without specifics on what they would change to make the job market better, specifically for students graduating college.

The first third of the debate was overall dull and redundant; nothing the candidates, moderator or audience said was particularly fresh or intriguing. However, as the debate hit the thirty-minute mark, viewers were in for quotable moments. Cue the “binders full of women” remark on the subject of gender equality in the workplace made by Mitt Romney. Of course, the media took this one remark and ran with it. Soon, the comment became the subject of many memes and jokes around the internet.

As funny as these posts may be, many are completely overlooking what Romney had to say here and are completely unaware of the fact that he lied about this subject. Governor Romney said that his administration had “binders full of women” eligible for positions on his cabinet and went on to claim that according to a study done by University of New York, Albany, he had the most women in senior leadership positions than any other state in the nation. However, after fact checking, the New York Times found that the university study included elected officials too, not just the “binders full” Romney appointed.

Later, the governor seemed to suffer from “Romnesia” on the topic of availability of contraceptives to women. Obama claimed that the Governor supported the idea that employers should have the ability to decide whether or not women get contraception in their insurance. However, Romney later said that wasn’t true despite his open support of the blunt amendment.

As the debate came to an end, the conversation was directed towards the controversy in Libya. The Governor accused Obama of failing to call the attack in Bengazi an act of terror, claiming that it took him 14 days to do so. The President confidently called on the moderator to “get the transcript” and just like that, we witnessed live action fact- checking by Candy Crowley. Bravo, Candy, you proved that this debate was in fact, Candy-coated.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to tune in to the final debate, which aired Monday night.

Sarah Menendez is a second-year political science and literary journalism double major. She can be reached at smenende@uci.edu.