Endorsement: Yes on Prop 30

It’s no secret that Americans are hurting.

Money is tight, education is in danger, political debate seems to be at an all-time high. In the middle of it all, we’re here at UC Irvine, a place of higher education; the future is in the hands of the students. We’re the future, like it or not.

Pathways to higher education do not come without a foundation for such success, however. We were once elementary school students, middle school students, high school students with ambitions for attending a university worthy of our time and money. So, what happens when the economy starts tanking? Cuts are made. What we can’t let happen, however, is let education suffer as a result.

That is why the New University Editorial Board is asking you to vote yes on Proposition 30 in the upcoming election.

Yes, it increases taxes. We’re aware of that.

It increases taxes by one-fourth of a cent for four years, and it increases taxes on the bracket for people that make $250,000 or more for seven years. It allocates 89 percent of the funds from this revenue to K-12 schools, and the other 11 percent to community colleges.

So, you’re probably asking why this is important to you, the student, at a UC school? The fact of the matter is that by having more money for these institutions, more funds are then made free for other things, whether that’s the UC system or not. Not to mention, if Prop. 30 gets shut down, your tuition goes up by 20 percent over the next four years.

Look at the bigger picture — we’d be hard-pressed to imagine a scenario where funding for education is ever a bad thing. Better community colleges means more class availability, which means more people will be able to receive an education and potentially transfer to a four-year college or university.

This creates better career opportunities for these graduates, as well as an overall better economy and well-being for the people of our state. It’s a chain reaction of sorts.
Prop. 30, in total, will garner $6 billion for the state in additional revenue. It’s also worth noting that it’s described directly in the title of the proposition that these taxes are temporary in order to fund the immediate fiscal crisis that education is facing. The hope here is that the state will shift its overall focus toward funding education even after these temporary taxes are gone, and that more permanent measures will be taken into account for the future.

Come Nov. 6, go to the polling place with the welfare of education in mind. Students are the future of this state, and we can’t afford to let funding slip through our fingers. Whether these students are K-12 or at the community college level, they can’t afford to be forgotten. We can’t afford to forget them either.

Please send all comments to opinion@newuniversity.org. Please include your year, name and major.