News In Brief – Week 5

Student Awarded Dalai Lama Scholarship 

The 2012-13 UC Irvine XIV Dalai Lama Endowed Scholarship has been awarded to fourth-year neurobiology and political science major, Soraya Azzawi.

She will receive $20,000 to go toward academic expenses and her projects: a journal documenting the humanitarian crises of refugees worldwide and the establishment of an English tutoring program for refugees.

Azzawi is a member of the Campuswide Honors Program and conducts research at the Center for Neurobiology of Learning & Memory. She has been involved in UCI’s Olive Tree Initiative and was a former News Editor of the New University campus newspaper.

The Dalai Lama Scholarship was established in 2004 to honor the Dalai Lama’s visit to UCI. It is awarded to students embodying ethical leadership, peace and positive global relations.

New Graduate Program in ‘Biophotonics’ 

Professor of biomedical engineering and chemical engineering & materials science Vasan Venugopalan will lead a new interdisciplinary graduate program in biophotonics, the development and application of optical techniques to examine and manipulate biological systems on the sub-cellular, cellular, tissue and organ levels for the advancement of biomedical science and healthcare.

The National Science Foundation granted Venugopalan, who is affiliated with UCI’s Beckham Laser Institute & Medical Clinic, a five-year, $3 million Integrative Graduate Education & Research Traineeship (IGERT) grant so that he can create a doctoral-level program that integrates physics, chemistry, engineering and the life sciences. The Biophotonics Across Energy, Space & Time program will enroll as many as six students annually.

Faculty Named ‘Educator of the Year’ 

The World Technology Network recently named UCI comparative literature professor and UC Humanities Research Institute director David Theo Goldberg and Cathy Davidson of Duke University as Educators of the Year. The two professors received this honor for founding the Humanities, Arts, Science & Technology Advanced Collaboratory (HASTAC).

HASTAC (pronounced as “haystack”) is a network of humanists, artists, scientists and engineers that are dedicated to combining these different fields through creative technology.

The award acknowledged both the Digital Media and Learning Competition and the UC Humanities Research Institute

The World Technology Network awards visionaries in technology and science, and has been honoring innovative work with long-term significance since 2000.

Federal Reserve System Historian  from UCI

The Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond has hired associate professor in economics Gary Richardson as the Federal Reserve System Historian. His position was instituted in relation to the bank’s hundredth anniversary in December 2013.

Richardson, who is also a research associate for the National Bureau of Economic Research, has worked at UCI since 1999 as an assistant professor before becoming an associate professor in 2006. During that large period of time, he has published a variety of articles on economic history and monetary policies.

At his new position, Richardson will work alongside specialists at the Federal Reserve and other organizations to recognize, conserve and make accessible the Fed’s archived materials. He will also publish works on the history of the Fed and its role in the American economy.