Sports In Brief

Women’s Volleyball
On Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at Crawford Court, UC Irvine (10-15, 5-6) pushed no. 9 Hawaii (19-2, 12-0) to a fifth game, but fell 15-10 after taking the first and fourth games (25-21, 22-25, 19-25, 25-22), leaving Hawaii undefeated in Big West play. Aly Squires had 14 kills and 18 digs for a double-double, while Marisa Bubica led the ’Eaters with a career-high 21 kills. Kristin Winkler led Irvine with 28 digs and tied a career-high with four aces for the second night straight. Shannon Fleming hit .375 in addition to five digs and four blocks with 12 kills.

Men’s Cross Country
On Saturday morning in Riverside at the Big West Conference Championship, UCI clenched the program’s best finish in six years with a third place title. Totaling 83 points, the ’Eaters met the 2006 UCI point total just behind UC Santa Barbara’s 48 and Cal Poly’s 25 points. Junior Melena finished fourth with a time of 24:16.8 – the best finish for an Anteater in the past 19 years.

Women’s Cross Country
UC Irvine finished in sixth place at the Big West Conference Championship after totaling 177 points behind UC Santa Barbara (75), UC Davis (46) and Cal Poly (43). With a 28th-place finish of 21:25:8, redshirt sophomore Colleen Lillig finished first for the ’Eaters.

Men’s Soccer
On Saturday night at Cal State Fullerton, the Titans ended UCI’s hopes of making a tournament appearance by scoring in the 83rd minute for a 1-0 win. UC Irvine (4-13-1, 1-7-0) controlled the match by outshooting the Titans 15-10 and had six more corner kicks compared to its counterpart. Irvine’s best chances came off of a strong cross from Christopher Santana to Enrique Cardenas and a rebounded shot from inside the box by Austin Burke. Goalkeeper Michael Breslin had five saves during the game that left the ’Eaters seven points behind Fullerton, leaving them without a spot in the tournament. The ’Eaters’ last home game will be played at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, October 31 as Irvine celebrates Senior Night.