Column of Babel: Nua From Barcelona

Courtesy of Cleo Tobi

UC Irvine offers international students the opportunity to try courses in a field they normally wouldn’t have experienced in their home country. Nua Watford from Barcelona, Spain, is here studying film and media and couldn’t be happier.

Watford has been studying at UCI for two months and plans to stay for the rest of the year and graduate.

Although Watford has only been attending UCI for two months, she has been more than active both on and off campus. She is a producer for the Film Arts Drama Alliance on campus and looks forward to taking a cooking class at the ARC. A lover of dance, Watford also wishes to take a tap dancing class to accompany her tango dancing skills that she has been practicing here in California.

Apart from the excellent entertainment resources provided by UCI, Watford enjoys the level of education she has received from the university.

“I think both teachers and students, but mainly teachers, are more engaged with what they do,” said Watford.

Watford does not get the chance to study film at her home university, the University of Granada. In Spain, she studies Spanish, English and French but she can also speak a decent amount of Polish from her year abroad there as well. And due to the proximity of Italy and Portugal, those languages have been easy for Watford to pick up as well.

UCI is not the only university where Watford has studied abroad. She has studied in Canada, Poland and New Zealand and although many were cheaper than UCI, she says UCI is worth the money. Her one complaint with the campus is the lack of cultural immersion for its international students.

“There are no university planned trips,” said Watford, “and not many activities out of campus organized by the university.”

Being of Catalonian and British descent and a speaker of four languages, it was difficult to choose which language she would shed a little translating light on. Catalan proved to be the best choice since it is her most native.

Words for Barcelona:

Hello: Hola (ah-la)

Goodbye: Adeu (a-they-u)

Please: Per favor (pear fav-or)

Thank you: Gracies (gra-see-es)

You’re welcome: De res (de rres)

How much is this? : Quant val aixo? (qu-an val ash-oh)

Where is the restroom? : On es el lavabo? (On es el lav-a-bo)

I love you: T’estimo (tes-timo)