Sports in Brief–11/20/12

Men’s Basketball

Announced by Coach Russell Turner, recruit Mamadou Ndiaye has signed a national letter of intent with UC Irvine. The 7-foot-5 center from Brethren Christian High School in Huntington Beach averaged 24 points, 13.9 rebounds and five blocked shots per game in his junior campaign at Brethren.

“I’m excited to add a player of Mamadou’s quality and character to our program,” Turner said to the Athletic Department. “He is an unbelievable story and as I have gotten to know him, I am more and more impressed with him.”

An All-CIF selection, the Senegal native is 79th in the ESPN Top 100.

“To recruit someone of his caliber is an important step in improving our program and I look forward to working with him and watching him grow and improve as a player,” Turner said. “He is a tremendous fit for our campus and community with his character and commitment to academics.”

With eight games and at least 30 points, Ndiaye shot 65 percent from the field in his junior season.

“The UC Irvine community has benefitted tremendously from the Huntington Beach community and the people at Brethren Christian High School that have welcomed him to this country, and I hope to continue to represent the values that they have surrounded him with,” Turner shared.

“I chose UC Irvine because I felt very comfortable at the university and with the coaching staff,” Ndiaye said in a statement. “It is an excellent school that will help me develop as a student and basketball player.”

Women’s Basketball

The San Diego State Aztecs defeated the ’Eaters on Wednesday evening at the Viejas Arena, leaving UCI with a 0-3 record for the season. Forward Jasmine Bernard led the ’Eaters with a season high 18 points. Forward Camille Buckley led the team with seven rebounds, followed by forward Methlyn Onogomuho, who trailed with six. Forward Pernilla Hanson recorded nine points and four steals, while forward Cheyenne Cathey added six points.

As a team, the ’Eaters were 18-61 from the field and 12-18 from the line, while totaling five 3-pointers. Irvine recorded 21 offensive rebounds and 18 defensive.

UCI hosts Denver on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. in the Bren Center.

Alumni News

Ex-women’s basketball player Kiara Belen (2008-2011), finished second in Cycle 19 of the CW’s “America’s Next Top Model.” The series finale aired on Friday, Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. for a special two-hour time slot that included never-before-seen footage.