NIBs Week 9

Admin. Hosts Thanksgiving Dinner

UC Irvine administrations hosted its annual campus-based Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day for students who could not go home for the break. The feast, which was held at Pippin Commons and featured the culinary expertise of UCI’s chefs, is an effort by the campus staff to offer out-of-state, foreign exchange and other students on campus who were not able to go home for the holiday an opportunity to partake in the Thanksgiving spirit.

Students who attended the banquet were served the traditional roast turkey, along with sweet potatoes and pumpkin, along with vegetarian alternatives to cater to the diverse student population. The special event, which had successful turnouts in previous years, has been lauded by the administration to be a proud new tradition here at UC Irvine.

New Education Center for Research

The still-fresh UC Irvine School of Education has established a new education research center that will focus on teacher development and “ways in which teachers’ professional practice in K-12 settings fosters student learning for diverse populations,” according to the press release.

Founding Director Professor Judith Haymore Sandholtz will head the Education Center for Research on Teacher Development and Professional Practice. The center will serve two purposes: “to advance research on teacher development and teaching practice; and to promote research-based professional development programs across the teacher education continuum.”

Possible Cure for Multiple Sclerosis Found

Combating the neurological disease multiple sclerosis (MS), UC Irvine professor Thomas Lane of the Sue & Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center recently helped develop a drug to stop the progression of nerve damage in patients with MS.

The drug, which targets signaling proteins called “Chemokines,” stops the recruitment of brain T cells that contribute to the destruction of nerve coverings. Currently in the second phase of clinical trials on people suffering from inflammatory bowel disease, which allows for a more rapid evaluation of the drug’s effectiveness and safety in human subjects, the drug is showing promise in potentially arresting the disease’s progression.

Through the acquisition of a $4.8 million grant from the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Lane and Professor Jeanne Loring  from the Center for Regenerative Medicine at The Scripps Research Institute hope to develop stem cell therapies that will be used in animal models with MS for the next phase of trials.