Potential for Greatness

Marlin Agoub | New University

November has ended, and the first month of the women’s basketball season has already gone by for the Anteaters. The team has not had a terrific start, beginning the season 2-5.

Before the season, they played two exhibition games against Cal State San Marcos and Concordia, which they absolutely dominated in points, rebounds and assists. Their bench was also very productive, and they were getting points off turnovers.

However, as the season started, their bench has not been scoring, they have not been moving the ball well and have committed too many turnovers.

The team started their season winless 0-4, losing four straight games by double digits. They finally picked up their first win against Drake, winning by five. However, they lost the following day against New Mexico State by six.

In the first four games, one major thing the Anteaters have been lacking is putting the ball in the bottom of the net. In all four games, they have shot less than 30 percent, which they really need to improve if they want to win their next games. They rebound the ball well, but don’t score on their second-chance points, which they also need to improve. They have been committing too many turnovers, having more than 10 turnovers in all four games. The Anteaters are not passing the ball well and they have not been giving their shooters good looks to score the basket.

However, in their fifth game against Drake, the Anteaters were different. They had their best shooting performance of the year, going 27-69 (39.1 percent) from the floor and 9-10 (90 percent) from the free-throw line. They were able to move the ball really well and, in the closing minutes, were able to play lockdown defense.

The celebration for their first win was quickly over when they were defeated by New Mexico State in a very close game. The Anteaters have a huge problem scoring in the closing minutes. In games they could win, they lose because they are not able to close the game out, and eventually they lose the lead every time. In those moments where there is a lot of pressure, they must work as a team by continually finding each other open and knocking down the easy jumper.

Jennifer Tsurumoto is playing the best on the team, averaging the most minutes, shooting with the highest field goal percentage of 37.5 percent, averaging the most points with 11.8 points per game and having the most assists. Camille Buckley is the next player who has been pretty productive, averaging the most rebounds with 6.2 per game, going to the line with the most free-throw attempts and subsequently hitting most of her free-throw shots and averaging seven points per game.

There are still many games left in the season, but in order to win those games, the Anteaters must  find each other for open looks to make easy baskets. With the great players they have, the Anteaters definitely have the potential to easily win their games and become a team difficult to knock off. Hopefully, from now on, UCI will start a winning streak and really play as a team. When they can overcome all these on-court obstacles, this team will be unstoppable.