104

Women’s Basketball

The Anteaters narrowly earned their second win of the season, going on the road to defeat Seattle University 61-60 in overtime this past Saturday.

UCI opened the game 7-0, but it was a back and forth game after that, with six lead changes in the first half alone. UCI then went on a 11-2 run, bringing their lead to 26-18 with 2:50 left in the first half. Answering the ’Eater run, the Seattle U Redhawks countered with a streak of their own, and was down only 26-22 at the half.

The Redhawks started the quarter quickly, with a 13-2 run that gave them a 35-28 lead, which they would push to 47-36, their largest of the game, with 8:29 left in the game.

The Anteaters responded with a 9-0 run, and tied the game up 50-50 on a three-pointer by Anete Klinstone and a layup by Kelly Meggs with 1:56 to go. The teams traded baskets for the remaining time, ending regulation at 54-54.

In overtime, Seattle U was up 60-58 with 1:28 left, but with only 1:02 remaining, Meggs drained a three to put the Anteaters ahead 61-60 at the end of the game.

The Anteaters had their best shooting game of the season, going 46.6 percent from the field to go along with 21 steals. The team returns home for a game against Idaho on Wednesday at 7:00 PM at the Bren.

Women’s Soccer 

The soccer season might be over for the Lady Anteaters, but they continue to lead.

Last week the team earned Team Academic Award status from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America.

Head coach Scott Juniper said of the award, “The successes we have on the pitch really don’t mean much unless we match it in the classroom. These players are proud of their academic achievements, and this award is some well earned recognition for their commitment to excellence.”

This is the second consecutive year that the soccer team has received this award, after putting up a 3.04 team GPA over the 2011-2012 academic year. Only one other Big West School made the list along, UC Davis.