‘Eaters All Win

When the fall quarter came to a close, the UC Irvine Athletic Department rolled out its new social media program, ’Eaters All Win. The program allows UCI fans, both students and non-students, to earn points for buying tickets to athletic events (250 points), joining the Anteater Athletic Fund (500 points) or just sharing posts to Facebook from the programs website (25 points), eatersallwin.com. All fans have to do to start earning points is go to the website, enter an email address and start liking, sharing, tweeting and posting.

Points can used at the website for UCI merchandise, memorabilia and exclusive fan experiences, with the promise of new rewards and limited offers being regularly added to the store. Currently, the items listed range from 1,000-5,000 points, and include a UCI business card holder, a UCI car flag and a UCI baseball cap. Even if Anteater fans don’t want to use the points for merchandise, the top 10 points leaders are displayed on the website’s front page in a kind of wall-of-fame.

“In the age of digital media, we wanted to ensure that any rewards program we launched took into account the growth in social media,” Robby Ray, UCI Assistant Athletic Director for Marketing and Corporate Relations, said.

“It’s important to recognize and reward fans that are not only supporting us by attending our events, but also those that are digital advocates for the Anteaters.”

One interesting aspect of the new social media program is CrowdCameo. At ucirvine.crowdcameo.com, fans can share their photos from UCI Athletics events and have them displayed on the video board and online gallery, where they can be viewed, claimed and voted on. And of course, fans who submit photos will earn points.

’Eaters All Win joins a number of other college and university athletic programs around the country. In 2012, Duke University Athletics, University of South Carolina Athletics and Baylor University Athletics all started their own social media rewards programs. And although here in Irvine we aren’t known for being a big sports school, we are only the second UC school to start such a program, following UCLA’s BruWin Rewards, which started last August.

So fellow Anteaters, you now have no excuse to be lukewarm toward UCI Athletics. Go to games, tweet about them, take photos, like blog posts, and go all in.