293

Chancellor Drake On NCAA Div. I Board 

UC Irvine Chancellor Michael V. Drake has been appointed to the board of directors of the Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

The NCAA is divided into three divisions, which are self-governed and are responsible for overseeing and amending recruitment and academic processes, including establishing athletic scholarships and academic programs for student-athletes. Division I is the highest level in the NCAA.

Drake has served as chancellor of the University of California, Irvine for over seven years.

UC Irvine Develops Elderly Abuse App 

UC Irvine’s Center of Excellence on Elder Abuse & Neglect have collaborated with the Institute on Aging to create an app to help law enforcement assess cases of abuse of the elderly. The app, currently available for free for iPads, iPhones and other such smart phones, is designed to assist responders and enforcement officials in recognizing and determining signs of neglect and abuse.

Among the features of the app are California penal code references, lists of potential warning signs, a tutorial and reference video and tips and tricks on dealing with issues such as dementia or memory loss.

UCI Desert Research Facility Receives Grant 

UC Irvine’s Steele/Burmand Anza-Borrego Desert Research Center has received $2.833 million dollars, to be used for construction and upgrade of the research facility. The money is provided by the Safe Drinking Water, Water Quality & Supply, Flood Control, River & Coastal Protection Bond Act of 2006, also known as Proposition 84.

Passed in 2006, Proposition 84 aims at funding developments for managing and preserving natural resources. Much of this money has been directed towards significant research projects undertaken by research institutions such as UC Irvine. These grants amount to an approximate total of 25 million dollars.

The Borrego facility, built in Borrego Springs California, includes over 78 acres, and is home to researchers from several UCs, including San Diego, Santa Barbara, Riverside, along with other colleges.