News in Brief: Week 2

UC Irvine Arts Professor Passes Away at 38 

UCI Arts Computation Engineering program founding member and associate professor of studio art Beatriz Noronha da Costa recently passed away on December 27. Da Costa was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, but continued pursuing her work and her passion despite her struggle with the disease.

Da Costa joined the UC Irvine Claire Trevor School of the Arts in 2003. Before that, she pursued a study of the arts in France as well as a graduate learning in America, attending Carnegie Mellon University.

Blending science and art, her work has emphasized critical social issues as well as personal challenges, including her own fight against cancer. Memorial services in da Costa’s honor will be held in New York and Los Angeles.

Law School’s First Graduates Destroy Bar

UC Irvine’s first graduating class has recently achieved a 90 percent pass rate on the Bar exam, beating UC Berkeley Law’s pass rate by 4 percent and UCLA Law by 1 percent.

The Bar examination is the next step for law students graduating from law schools, as passing the test allows for the practice of law in a given state or district.

Currently, the UCI Law School is currently hoping to attain U.S. News & World Report’s top 20 ranking, a prestigious ranking system in which law schools receive national acclaim.

Nursing Program in Science Rated 54th In NIH 

UC Irvine’s Program in Nursing Science has recently been rated 54th in the National Institute of Health’s funding list. The Program in Nursing Science was founded in 2005 and is a part of the UC Irvine College of Health Sciences, alongside the School of Public Health, Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences.

The program has also received $1.5 million dollars from the U.S. Health Resources & Services Administration for use in its facilities in Santa Ana. The nursing program is scheduled to enroll students into its new doctorate program sometime this year.

Research Links Alzheimer’s With Down’s Syndrome

Recent research from associate professor of neurobiology & behavior Jorge Busciglio and his team of researchers have shed light on factors playing a role in the propensity of Alzheimer’s disease among individuals with Down’s Syndrome.

Down’s Syndrome exists as a genetic conditioning where an individual is born with an extra chromosome, leading to potential alterations of brain and physical development. Busciglio’s research has estimated that a quarter of individuals who have Down’s Syndrome and are over the age of 35 have shown development of dementia and other mental syndromes associated with Alzheimer’s disease.