UC President to Step Down

Courtesy of UCOP

Mark G. Yudof will end his five-year tenure as president at the end of August, citing health and a need for “fresh leadership.”

University of California President Mark Yudof announced last Friday that he would step down at the end of August, due to health issues ranging from gallbladder problems, a broken shoulder and chronic bronchitis.

Yudof’s tenure began in 2008 and ran through one of the University’s worst financial crises, which included severe budget cuts and huge tuition hikes due to reduced state funding.

In his statement on Friday, Yudof said the recent improving financial health of the UC system appeared to be an “apt time for the University to bring in fresh leadership.” In particular, he attributed the situation to increases in state funding in the 2013-14 state budget and the approval of Proposition 30 last November.

“Now, it appears the storm has been weathered,” he said. “We are not fully in the clear, but we are much closer than we were even a few months ago.”

The appointment of a new president will require an extensive search process. According to the Board of Regents’ policy, a Special Committee that includes the Alumni and Student Regents will be appointed to consider candidates and to recommend to the Board the appointment of a President of the University.

This Special Committee will consult with the Board of Regents and the different constituent groups of the university, including Chancellors, Vice Presidents, students, staff and alumni in reviewing the criteria and presenting the nominee or nominees at the end of the search.