Lawson at the Troubador

Courtesy of Paula Verkuylen

Courtesy of Paula Verkuylen

With a sound similar to The Wanted and The Script, Lawson continued the British Invasion when they sold out the Troubadour in West Hollywood on Thursday, Jan. 24.

This four-piece group started out four years ago and finally had their breakthrough in the UK in 2011 when they were the opening act for The Wanted both on their Behind the Bars Tour and #TheCode Tour.

Their debut album, “Chapman Square,” reached fourth on the UK charts. Now they hope to break the North American market with their good looks, pop vibes and cute accents.

Girls lined up starting at 10 a.m. in the rain to be in the front row at this small venue. Some girls even paid for hotels so that they could stay the night before driving back home in hopes of meeting the band. The crowd ranged in age, from mid-teens to middle aged; the majority of which were female.

“This is my first time being at the Troubadour. I’m really excited to get to see the band in such a cool venue,” Lina from Long Beach said.

The Troubadour, which opened in 1957, has boasted acts such as Elton John, Van Morrison, Ellie Goulding and many more. Against this historic backdrop, Lawson brought the high energy of an arena tour to an intimate crowd. The band entered from the side of the stage dressed as stereotypical British bad boys, donning black leather jackets, band shirts and quiffed (British faux hawk) hair all around.

The band opened with their future single to be released in February 2013, “Learn to Love Again,” which set the tone for an energized set. They transitioned easily into their next songs, “Stolen” and “Gone,” which employ building percussion.

It’s no surprise that many girls I asked couldn’t pick a favorite member. Andy Brown, 25, the lead singer, guitarist and front man of the band broke up the set list with his commentary on their travels to Los Angeles. Due to his thick Liverpool accent (think the Beatles), bassist Ryan Fletcher, 23, and guitarist Joel Peat, 22, translated Brown’s jargon. The boys joshed each other on-stage and displayed typical British humor — sarcasm.

Aside from their album track list, Lawson played a few covers, including a mash up/sing-a-long of their hit “Taking Over Me” with Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe” and Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream,” as well as a rocked up, and therefore slightly less meaningful, cover of Ed Sheeran’s “A Team.”

A highlight for all the girls was when drummer Adam Pitts, 22, came to the front of the stage to play tambourine for “Waterfall.” An explosion of squeals and various phrases such as, “Oh my God, my baby!” came from eager fans.

The band finished the night with a few ballads, a preview song for a potential second album and an encore featuring their most recent single, “Standing in the Dark.”

“We are incredibly thankful to be able to play in LA,” Fletcher said. “Thanks for making all our dreams come true!”

Faviola, a 20-year-old fan from Riverside, talked about her concert experience and meeting the boys before the show.

“Oh god, I’m still shaking. It was absolutely amazing. Amazing voices, stage presence, the whole package,” she said. “They’re so sweet and down to earth!”

For more about Lawson, check their website: lawsonofficial.com.