Sports In Brief

Men’s Basketball Falls to CSULB

The UC Irvine men’s volleyball team might have beaten the beach the night before at the Bren, but on Saturday at the Walter Pyramid, the men’s basketball team didn’t fair so well, going down 81-59.

The Big West face-off was close until there was only 9:03 left in the second half, with the Anteaters behind only 56-50.

Sophomore Will Davis II led the team, scoring 18 points and pulling down 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season, with 14 points and seven rebounds in the first half alone. As a result, UCI trailed by only five points at the half, 37-32.

But Davis’s performance wasn’t enough. Starting at the 9:03 mark of the second half, the 49ers went on a 20-7 run over a seven-minute period, ballooning their lead to a 76-57 margin.

UCI had their lowest turnover margin of the season, committing only nine. Junior Chris McNealy added 10 points, while senior Mike Wilder scored nine points, and freshman guard Alex Young recorded eight points. But in the end, UCI’s 37.7 shooting percentage was no match for Long Beach’s 56.9 from the field.

Long Beach is now 11-8 overall and 7-1 in Big West play. Even more impressive, they have won the past 21 Big West conference games in the Walter Pyramid.

The Anteaters play five of their next seven games at the Bren, and host Cal Poly this Wednesday night, at 7:00 p.m.

Indoor Track and Field

In the mile run, UCI’s Samia Sailinuu (5:17.05) and Chloe Fata (5:17.07) finished 18th and 19th respectively in the season opener this past weekend.

The team returns to the (indoor) field February 8-9 in Seattle, Washington at the Husky Classic.

Another Win for the Beach

Sandwiched in between the other two UCI-Long Beach State games last weekend — men’s volleyball and men’s basketball — the women’s basketball team lost their game in the Black and Blue Series, falling 71-61.

The first quarter was back and forth, and at one point the Anteaters pushed the score to 28-22. But the 49ers went on a 9-1 run towards the end of the half and regained the lead, 34-33, going into the locker room at intermission.

The second half looked to be more of the same, with both teams trading baskets and six lead changes. With 4:51 left, the ’Eaters were only down by one, 59-58. But they couldn’t hold back the 49ers, who went on a 12-3 run to end the game.

Juniors Kelly Meggs and Camille Buckley led the Anteaters with 11 points each, plus seven rebounds for Buckley and a game-high six assists for Meggs.

Their next game is Northern California this Thursday, January 31, where they will face Pacific.