Blergh! ’30 Rock’ Airs Its Season Finale

165
165
Courtesy of NBC
Courtesy of NBC

It doesn’t seem that long ago when the advantageous Tina Fey was leaving “Saturday Night Live,” with all of us wondering what she was going to do next.

Seven years and seven seasons of “30 Rock” later, it seems that we are left asking Fey yet again, “What’s next?”

The seventh season of “30 Rock” served to tie up the loose ends created by the previous seasons, whether they were as trivial as Lutz finally being able to choose lunch for the writers or as pivotal as who will become the next president of NBC.

Although “30 Rock” remained true to its spirit of adding amazingly odd words to our everyday vocabulary (BLERG!) and having chuckle-worthy flashbacks, it also allowed each character plot to resolve itself.

It was time to “shut it down.”

In regards to the infamous Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), we were finally able to witness her love life transform from “ordering a dozen donuts to stay” and eating “night cheese” to getting married in Lemon-appropriate attire: a Princess Leia gown complete with the iconic Cinnabon-like hairstyle and settling down.

Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) had to put his negotiation genius to the test in order to best out his arch-nemesis (Will Arnett) and the rightful heir to Kabletown for the CEO position in one final corporate throwdown.

Kenneth Parcell (Jack McBayer) was able to overcome being sued by his crazy ex-girlfriend to continue as the brightest page of the NBC page program, whilst discovering the career opportunities that arise with his undying love for television.

Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) and Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski) maintained their reign as the erratic actors on the set and gave Lemon just as many hoops to jump through in order to complete an episode of “TGS” (the fictional late night variety show that Lemon is the head writer of) in seasons prior but illustrated their respect for Lemon that they themselves did not know existed.

The series finale of “30 Rock” aired Thursday, Jan. 31 at 8 p.m. Viewers were allowed one last look at the fate of “TGS,” what lies next for Lemon in terms of her juggling her career and possibilities for motherhood, Donaghy’s astonishing first move as the CEO of Kabletown and what his successor as the president of NBC has in store for the network. (Hint: some of the banned words for television pitches are “woman,” “writer” and “New York.”)

The finale truly was a farewell for the characters, audience, creator and cast members, as we see Jordan take responsibility, Maroney show real emotion, Lemon admit her love for her job and Donaghy tell Lemon how important their relationship has been to him.

Just like the nature of “30 Rock” itself, the finale played upon both the fictional and realistic elements of the show, reflecting Fey’s time as a writer on both “SNL” and “30 Rock.” The audience gets the idea that as the fictional characters exchange goodbyes, the actors behind the roles are doing the same.

Not to say that every detail of the finale has a shred of truth. I doubt that Tina Fey spent her last day at SNL watching strippers or that Pete Hornberger (Scott Adsit) actually faked his own death, but that’s part of the beauty of “30 Rock”: the obvious incredulousness. The average life of anyone is not a constant stream of comedic relief. Fey took any moment of her life that could be considered mundane and turned it insane, which is what distinguished “30 Rock” from so many other comedy shows on primetime.

The series may be technically over, but “30 Rock” lives on in its syndication on NBC and its affiliates.

Recommended: Tina Fey has been able to leave her mark on primetime television with her own brand of humor that will be sure to make “30 Rock” a lasting favorite among fans and interested watchers alike.