2013 Disney Movie Previews

With each passing year, the precedents set by the motion picture industry are constantly evolving and being redefined with the times. A new year means new franchises, old favorites, new laughs, cries and the entire number of things that are associated with films.

That being said, here is a preview of what Disney (which, as we all know, is hugely popular at UC Irvine with Disneyland nearby) has in store for us in 2013:

Oz the Great and Powerful (March 8): James Franco, who plays magician Oscar Diggs, finds himself flung into the land of Oz, much like Dorothy, and must turn himself into the wizard of the land — and, perhaps, into a better man as well.

Iron Man 3 (May 3): Everyone’s favorite snarky billionaire is back, but his personal world has been destroyed by his enemies, and he’s on a mission to find those responsible. With Robert Downey Jr., it’s hard not to anticipate the next installment in the series.

Monsters University (June 21): Learn the story of how “Monsters Inc.” dynamic duo Mike and Sully met each other. Turns out, they weren’t always the best of friends like they turned out to be.

The Lone Ranger (July 3): With Johnny Depp playing the role of a Native American spirit warrior named Tonto and Armie Hammer playing man of the law, John Reid, they have to work together in order to fight the forces of greed and corruption in the wild American frontier.

The Little Mermaid (Sept. 13): A Disney classic that garnered two Academy Awards returns to the big screen, this time in 3-D. It will only be playing in select theaters.

Thor: The Dark World (Nov. 8): The Norse god of thunder must battle to save the Earth and the Nine Realms by combating a shadowy force that predates the universe itself.

Frozen (Nov. 27): The same studio that produced “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Tangled” are behind “Frozen,” their latest project where a kingdom is trapped in eternal winter. Anna, a fearless optimist, enlists the help of mountain-man Kristoff and his reindeer sidekick Sven in order to cleanse the kingdom of the Snow Queen’s icy spell.

Saving Mr. Banks (Dec. 20): Academy Award-winning performers Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson tell the extraordinary, untold backstory of how Disney’s “Mary Poppins” made it to the big screen, due to the difficult time Walt Disney had trying to acquire the rights.

While this list is a relatively short one, the films lined up for this coming year are both diverse in nature and could possibly introduce new and endearing characters to us. With leads like Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) in “Frozen” and the continuation of the stories of Marvel favorites Iron Man and Thor being told in the newest films coming out this year, there will indeed be a bit of everything for the movie-goer this year from Disney and Pixar. Live-action films like “Oz” and “The Lone Ranger” also have the potential to turn some heads with their star power, and are worth keeping an eye on as the year progresses.