Sports In Brief

Men’s Tennis

The ’Eaters upset No. 73 San Luis Obispo, going 4-3 in Friday afternoon’s match on Cal Poly Mustang territory.

The Mustangs, who are 8-8 overall and now 0-1 in conference play, were able to fend off the sweep on a point from the doubles pair.

The win makes UCI 1-1 in the Big West play and 4-15 overall.

UCI will face San Diego State in a non-conference match on April 12 at 1:00 p.m. in San Diego.

Outdoor Track and Field

UC Irvine hosts the Big West Challenge Cup on Friday, April 12, where the ’Eaters will face Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton and UC Santa Barbara.

Most recently, the men placed eighth on day one of the Cal/Nevada Championships in La Jolla California on March 29.

On the final day of the Championships, the men placed 11th with 29/50 points.

At the same meet, the women edged their male counterparts as they finished 7th on day one with 15 points and 9th in the finals with 38 points.

Standout sophomore Itos Aikhionbare finished fourth in the shot put with a mark of 48-8 1/4. Aikhionbare was the top UCI finish for the day.

Women’s Water Polo

UCI (15-8, 3-1) fell to the top-ranked USC Trojans (20-0, 4-0) 11-3 on Saturday afternoon on home territory.

With an early lead on its first possession of the game, the Trojans would increase the lead to 3-0.

UCI would put one away before the end of the period, as Hillary Estrada found the net on an assist from Layne Kipp.

Building on the momentum of the late goal in the first, the ’Eaters came out strong in the second period, scoring two right away to knot the score at 3-3. Unable to hold onto the tie, USC quickly took back the lead as they went ahead 4-3.

Still in the game, Irvine allowed just one opposing goal in the third, but would go scoreless after its initial three goals.

Goalkeeper Jillian Yocum stopped seven shots while totaling three steals. Hillary Estrada, Michaela Pierandozzi and McKenna Mitchell put points on the board while Estrada also added two field blocks and an assist. Hannah Croghan contributed three steals.

After a 6-4 win over Cal State Northridge on Sunday afternoon, the ’Eaters improve to 16-8 overall and are 4-1 in conference.