2013 ASUCI Spring Elections – Referendums

PLACE YOUR VOTE AT: https://www.elections.uci.edu/

Anteater Express (Bus Love) Initiative

What does the referendum ask for?

The Anteater Express (Bus Love) Initiatvive asks for a new $8 quarterly fee for all undertraduate students starting in fall 2013. The fee will increase annually by $8 per quarter until it reaches $40 by 2018-19 to support the Anteater Express.

Where will the money go?

The money from the fee will go toward expenses that include, but are not limited to, fleet replacement, disability services and route expansion.

The initiative also calls for the creation of the Anteater Express board, composed of student representatives, campus partners and an Anteater Express staff member, to oversee the funds raised by this initiative. All spending from the Initiative’s funds must be approved by a majority of the Board and its decisions will be made public. The Board will prioritize spending to replace buses, expand the Ring Road Rides program for disability services and route expansion for the Anteater Express. The Anteater Express Board will also be responsible for providing an annual report on ridership, financial information and student feedback to the Chancellor.

As per campus policy, 33 percent of the fee will be returned to financial aid.

What is the Anteater Express?

The Anteater Express is the UCI campus shuttle system. In recent years, increases in fuel and maintenance costs, as well as decreases in funding, have forced the Anteater Express to cut routes and other services. The shuttle fleet also faces the expensive task of replacing old buses as they face retirement.

Source: Bus Love Campaign Website

SAVE SOAR Referendum

What does the referendum ask for?

The Student Outreach and Retention (SOAR) Center Referendum asks for a $4.50 quarterly fee beginning fall 2014 for all undergraduate students to keep the SOAR Center open and cover its operating costs.

Where will the money go?

The SOAR Center was established in fall 2011 on temporary funds provided by UCI administration, and those funds are set to run out. The referendum will allow the SOAR Center to become a permanent service available to students by covering operating expenses, including programming, facilities, supplies, staff and marketing. The funds will also allow for more services, such as extended SOAR Center hours, textbook exchange, discounted printing and more student jobs.

The SOAR Center will provide an annual report to the Chancellor on its services and operations to ensure the proper and effective use of the fees collected.

What is the Student Outreach and Retention Center (SOAR)?

The SOAR Center was established  to “support and enrich the academic, personal, and social experiences of students” attending UCI. It provides programs and services in student retention and outreach, serving as a “one stop shop” for students. SOAR aims to focus on the retention needs of all students, and it is the only center to provide funds, training and assistance for student-initiated outreach projects. SOAR also gives opportunities for student leadership through the Antleader Mentorship Program and the Student Ambassador Program.

Source: SOAR Campaign

Measure U Newspaper Fund (New University)

What does the referendum ask for?

The Measure U Newspaper Fund (MUNF) asks for a quarterly fee of 99 cents for all undergraduate students over the next five years from fall 2013 – spring 2018.

Where will the money go?

The fee will cover operating costs of the New University, including printing expenses and providing paid student staff and editor positions. The five-year initiative will give the New University time to bolster its reserves and provide increased comprehensive campus coverage, as well as more opportunities for aspiring student writers.

The New University will be responsible for providing an annual report to the Chancellor on its services and operations to ensure proper and effective use of the fees collected.

What is the New University?

The New University (New U) is the official campus newspaper of UCI since 1968 and it circulates 8,000 print issues around campus every Tuesday. The New U is a student-run publication that covers breaking campus news, sports, student and faculty achievements and more. It is also an open forum for free speech to any student and an avenue for prospective writers and journalists to practice their craft.

The New U has faced higher prices in printing and supplies, as well as advertiser inconsistency and changes in the print industry, leading to increases in overall costs and decreased revenue.